Thursday, May 28, 2009

It has been raining since Tuesday and the temperatures have been very cool

It has been raining since Tuesday and the temperatures have been very cool 40s-50s°F with a frost early Tuesday morning. The average high/low for this time of year is 71°F/50°F.

My newly transplanted garden seems to be holding its own right now but a little warmth and sunshine would be greatly appreciated.

I had planned on assembling the second self-watering container (SWC) during this week for two Window Box Roma Tomatoes. However, I have not been able to find the time. The tomatoes were looking pretty sad in their tiny cells, and even showed signs stress on their lower leaves. So I potted them up tonight and they will spend some time inside getting some warmth and tender love and care for a while.


I did run out and take some pictures. Sorry for the poor quality, it was raining and I actually took these. Usually K does the photography and his pics are so much better. But I wanted to document what they look like right now because I believe they have actually grown a little even in these chilly and rainy conditions. Maybe they just like being able to stretch their roots out.

I will start with this Yellow Doll Watermelon plant. In the flat of transplants, this little guy was hanging out of his cell by only a few small roots. He also lost part of his first true leaf. Even on Sunday when I transplanted him out, he was looking a little limp. Take a look at him now. He is looking much better already:


Here is another one of the Yellow Doll Watermelons:


I grew Yellow Doll Watermelons last year for the first time and really liked them. I chose them because of their quick maturity of only 78-80 days. They are a small watermelon, only about 3-5 pounds. Their flesh is yellow instead of pink, but they have a lot of flavor. Compared to a regular watermelon that we buy in the supermarket, Yellow Doll seemed to have much more flavor and was a bit sweeter.

Here is a Fastbreak Melon:


I also grew Fastbreak Melons for the first time last year too. They are a variety of cantaloupe melon that matures in about 70-days. They are about 5-inches in diameter and weigh approximately 4-pounds.

I am hoping to have more yields this year on both of these melons. Last year, my garden was so overwhelmed by crabgrass and weeds that reduced the yield of all of my plants. This year, I am hoping the black mulch will both suppress these weeds and help keep the soil warmer, which melons love.

Here are my Prince Onion transplants in my SFG. I think I will be enjoying these as young onions during the summer as I am not sure how long they take to fully mature. I suspect it is longer than our growing season and I only planted them this past weekend. I tried onions last year, but they disappeared among the crabgrass and weeds never to be seen again.


Take a look at how the garlic transplants have bounced back:


I blogged about "discovering" my lost garlic from last year here

The transplanted garlic seem to be recovering quite well in the SFG. I transplanted a few of the discovered clumps into the SFG, but left the remainder in the traditional garden. Here is a pic of the garlic that still remains in the traditional garden:


Here are three rows where I will be planting three different kinds of bush beans this weekend, Tendergold, Blue Lake, and Royal Burgundy:



Here is where I will be planting two rows of pole beans. I will be adding nylon trellis to these supports as soon as it arrives:


In the picture above, you may be able to see three rings of sections of cheap tomato supports in the solar mulch, right in front of the branch holding down the solar mulch, and in front of the pole been trellis. Here I will be planting two hills of zucchini and one hill of summer squash.

I will also be adding an archway trellis across the gardens right in front of the zucchini and summer squash and plant cucumbers at the base of each end of the arch so the cucumber vines can grow upward along the trellis.

Back to the SFG...Here is a pic of one of the two Ichiban Eggplant:


Spinach has sprouted:


The Super Marzano Tomatoes are reaching for the sky already. They were very leggy, so I trenched them when planting in the SFG:



Here is a King Author Pepper, with New Ace Peppers in the background:


Here is a pic of the Greek Oragano that doubles in size each year:


Here are the chives that are already flowering. I will trim these down and they will grow up again:

1 comment:

  1. I just harvested my first ichiban and I've got another to be picked in a few days. They're beautiful plants!

    ReplyDelete