Sunday, May 10, 2009

It’s raining today

We were supposed to have showers, but it seems to be a constant drizzle in between showers. I really wanted to mow the lawn and tackle the rest of the weeds in my garden today too. At least the new SFGs are getting a good soaking.

Purchasing most of the compost for our new SFGs has urged me to make more of an effort in composting more of our everyday waste. We had a compost bin that came with the house. I would add to it and maybe give it a little stir now and then, but for the most part, the items that could go in the bin most often end up in the trash to decompose at a landfill somewhere.

The old compost bin rotted through and collapsed over the winter. It wasn’t really the best setup anyway and was awkward to work in. So now I am researching building another that is more accessible and efficient. In the mean time, kitchen scraps, coffee grounds, and other compostable items will not be going to waste. I’ll be mixing them into the existing compost pile in the collapsed bin and transfer it all to the new bins when they are built.

I think I’ll check out my favorite garden blogs for some ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment