It was one of three Yellow Doll Watermelons planted in the traditional garden. Ironically, it was the one I blogged about last Thursday, the little guy that arrived missing half a leaf and hanging out of his cell by only a few small roots. I wasn’t sure he would make it when I first planted him, but he bounced back and was keeping up with the others in growth.
Sadly, I found him limp this morning. Upon closer inspection, I saw his stem cleanly cut near the base of the plant. Cutworm. I poked around the mulch surrounding the plant but could not find the murderer.
I didn’t take a picture of the corpse this morning. Instead, I’d like to remember him when he was looking his best: