Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Demise of a Yellow Doll Watermelon

It was one of three Yellow Doll Watermelons planted in the traditional garden. Ironically, it was the one I blogged about last Thursday, the little guy that arrived missing half a leaf and hanging out of his cell by only a few small roots. I wasn’t sure he would make it when I first planted him, but he bounced back and was keeping up with the others in growth.

Sadly, I found him limp this morning. Upon closer inspection, I saw his stem cleanly cut near the base of the plant. Cutworm. I poked around the mulch surrounding the plant but could not find the murderer.

I didn’t take a picture of the corpse this morning. Instead, I’d like to remember him when he was looking his best:

6 comments:

  1. RIP, little melon. I HATE cutworms! HATE, HATE, HATE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad... Those bad... hungry... bugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Grannie. I feel the same about cutworms. I HATE them. They don't even evolve into pretty moths or butterflies...just ugly all around,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toni,

    Yep, I wish they would eat somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a bummer....Ya know, I must be lucky or something. No cutworms at all this year, or last year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are lucky EG. It is such a quick death.

    ReplyDelete