Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Gardens Were In Need of a Good Soaking

It has been raining most of the week but the temperatures have been a little warmer especially at night. The gardens were in great need of a good soaking. The sun is supposed to shine this weekend so I should see some advancement.


It stopped raining for a bit this afternoon, so I snapped a few pictures after dinner. Sadly, there still isn't much growth on the peppers. They were really affected the most with the cold weather that happened right after they were planted. I hope to see some improvement this weekend or I may have to consider replacing them.

I am pleased to see some growth on the tomato plants. Below is a picture of a Window Box Roma Tomato that seems to be doing quite well. You can see some damage on the lower leaves in the right side of the photo. This happened within a week of planting when the temperatures dropped. This Window Box Roma Tomato is in the traditional garden.


I could not believe my eyes when I spied a few buds beginning to form on the Super Marzano Tomatoes in the Self Watering Container (SWC).


I also saw my first sucker beginning to form:


And the first appearance of insects on the tomato leaves. There were some ants and some small black flies, and these:

I rinsed them all off with water and there doesn't seem to be any harm done yet. I am in need of a good website with pictures to help identify these pests. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. Those are aphids. I've noticed they show up after a good rain (not that we've had any here since April). The big one is the momma, little are her babies. It's odd that they're on the top of the leaf, as they like hiding on the undersides. Be sure to keep a good eye on them. They grow and reproduce pretty quick. If the black flying bugs have long legs like the green one in the pic, it's an aphid also. I usually squish 'em with my fingers, but also found that spraying with diluted soapy water several days in a row works. Do that in the morning. That's when I see most of the flying bugs hanging about.

    A good reference book for bugs I have from the library is "Garden Insects of North America." I absolutely LOVE this book, and don't want to return it...
    Sorry for the long winded comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Momma S,

    Thank you, yes they are aphids. Thanks to your help I was able to look these up and compare pictures to the black flying bugs and you are correct, these are aphids too.

    I have seen these before on my plants, but I didn't know what they were. I usually control them by washing them off or squishing them. But this year, I want to learn more about the pests that are in the garden.

    The aphids also explain the ants! I didn't know that ants tend to aphids, they protect aphids from danger so they can so they can feed on their honeydew.

    Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My pleasure! I'm (surprisingly) getting a lot of enjoyment out of learning about my garden bugs. It's been a great way to keep my mind off of the plants taking "forever" to produce their goods...

    ReplyDelete