Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I Stand Corrected - Three-Lined Potato Beetle - NOT Cucumber Beetle

I incorrectly identified the beetle below as a Striped Cucumber Beetle last week.


It is actually a Three-Lined Potato Beetle as I discovered when I read Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association Pest Report:
No. Those are not cucumber beetles. Potatoes, tomatoes and sometimes eggplants are attacked by this pest that only superficially looks like a cucumber beetle. This is the Three-Lined Potato Beetle. The adult of this pest is about the same size as a cucumber beetle but has a reddish head and a thorax with two dark spots. The wing covers are dark yellow with three black stripes.

For comparison, here is a photo of a Striped Cucumber Beetle from the University of Maine Cooperative Extension website:

4 comments:

  1. Good for you! I'm curious... Do they have other differences such as climate or devastation they can cause?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have never known the difference, because ours are the spotted variety. Thanks, and good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee, how did you ever confuse the two! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Momma S, I am not sure....I haven't found much info about this guy. Thankfully, this is the only one I have seen so far, but it is early yet.

    EG, I hope I don't see either here :)

    Amy, they are very similar aren't they? The red neck and head was the only difference I could see. The fact that I found this guy on the peppers was confusing too.

    ReplyDelete