Sunday, June 21, 2009

Our DSL Modem Died Early Saturday Morning

We don't have internet at our house right now. As a graphic designer, I am able to work a lot from my home office. I completed several projects over the weekend, but couldn't email or upload them. So I made a trip into the office today to do so and check my email. While I am here I am updating this blog. I am missing all the blog and forum updates that I usually read.

We live in an area that has limited services offering internet connections. Dialup is….well, dialup. We do have Roadrunner service in our area, but the house isn’t wired for cable. Instead, our local telephone company is our link to the cyber world via the DSL service they offer. Last year began our battle with maintaining a solid connection. When this connection wasn’t dropping (which required a modem reboot each time), it has been excruciating slow.

Communication with our local phone company about our DSL service has been extremely frustrating. It began a year ago when we first experienced the connection dropping. I contacted them and asked for a modem swap because ours was failing. They suggested our problems were related to an equipment upgrade that they made and they would try to work on it on their end. It has never been ok since then.

Fast-forward a year later, Saturday morning rebooting the modem failed. It seemed to have died completely. After talking with the technician at the local phone company, he guides us through a bunch of diagnostic tests and he admits that the modem is the issue and he finally agrees to swap out for a new one. Unfortunately, the office is closed and we had to wait until Monday. Ugh!!!

There is some good news in all of this…..Hopefully the new modem will be faster.

2 comments:

  1. I can only imagine how frustrating this must be!!! What a pain!

    Hope the new modem is so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your modem might have been on its last leg for a year now. Glad you are getting a new one! ZOOM ZOOM goes the internet for you! Well, starting Monday that is :)

    ReplyDelete