Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Pruning Tomato Suckers and Growing Additional Plants

The tomatoes growing in the SWCs are doing extremely well. The Super Marzanos are much further ahead of the ones growing in the SFG.


I did my first pruning of the suckers on these plants last week. Tomato suckers are the growth that appears in the crotch between the stem and a branch. If left to grow, they will become another main stem with branches, flowers, and tomatoes. The new stems can compete with the original plant for nutrients. Here is a picture of a sucker on the Super Marzano Tomatoes:


I am going to leave a few suckers on these plants, but I want to prune out some of the lower ones. Plus I wanted to see if I could root them. I got the idea from EG at Our Engineered Garden when he mentioned in his blog that he did this for backup tomato plants in case his others didn't make it. The Tomatoes.

I just placed the suckers in a glass of water and within a few days roots began to grow!



I am going to pot this guy up and see how he does. We don't have a long growing season, but I think this one will be able to catch up. The others in the glass haven't formed roots yet, but they were placed in the glass a few days after the first one. It will be fun to experiment.

10 comments:

  1. Cool! I tried to grow some suckers I pulled off, but didn't have any luck, because I just put them in some Mel's mix. They withered away within a few days even though I kept them well watered. I'm gonna try this the next time I sucker the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, it's worth a shot, right?

    Good luck:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel - I root my suckers exactly the same way. Great pictures of the process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo! I love the clear glass so you can see it happening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. EG, you do? I don't remember reading that, but I usually root my houseplants that way, so I thought it would work. Glad to know I am on the right track.

    Ribbit, I love being able to view the progress too! I wasn't sure it would work, but one day there were roots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the inspiration - I'm going to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Desert Dame, let me know how you make out :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a good idea to root those suckers! I'm going to try that... not that I need any more tomato plants... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Toni, I know! I don't know where I am going to put them if they do well. I guess I will figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 2013 growing suckers...I remove/scrape some of sides off on the sucker and roll it in cinnamon, planted in wet soil....I am growing tomatoes.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete