Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Weekend Wasn’t a Total Wash

Saturday morning was wet and overcast. We slowly dried out and the sky cleared by 1:30 and the rest of the day was beautiful. I was able to weed whack the garden paths and do some weeding in between the rows of beans in the traditional garden. I am really going to have to get some sort of mulch in there quickly. With all the rain we have had, the grass is growing back really fast.

Sunday, was rainy and didn’t offer many opportunities to run out to do much gardening. I did snap a few pics.

This is the first Japanese Beetle that I have seen this season on my Rugosa Rose Bush. I know it’s not going to be the last:



Take a look at how much the Super Marzano Tomatoes have grown over the last couple of days.


I am going to have to decide on a more permanent support structure for these tomatoes in the SWC. Right now I am using some flimsy tomato cages that I usually reserve for the peppers and bush type tomato plants. I have some extra trellis netting, so I think I will build a 2-foot wide trellis to place over the SWC.

I spotted a Lady Beetle pupa on my Rugosa Rose Bush.



Looking back on the posts for this past month, it seemed like I am always mentioning rain. Reflecting on the past month, I couldn’t remember many sunny days since I planted the garden back on Memorial Day Weekend. I was curious, so I looked it up on the NOAA’s National Weather Service website:

June 1 - June 27:
3 days clear
12 days partly cloudy
12 days cloudy
Normal rainfall for June = 3.6-inches
Rainfall as of June 27 = 7.21-inches… and still raining

1 comment:

  1. That's a ton of rain! I don't think we've had rain here all month. :(

    ReplyDelete