Sunday, July 12, 2009

Slightly Yellowing and Curling Leaves on Romas in SWC

I noticed my Window Box Roma Tomato plants in a Self Watering Container showing slightly curling and yellowing leaves yesterday. I suspected maybe magnesium deficiency except from everything I have read; magnesium deficiency affects the leaves on the bottom of the plant first. The leaves affected are uniform all over the plant from the new growth down to the old.

The SWC is 18 gallon, with Miracle Grow potting mix, a handful of 9-12-12 fertilizer and a handful of Epsom Salt in a strip across the middle of the container at planting time. We have had a lot of rain and cool temperatures, but the last three days have been sunny and in the mid to high 70s/50s.

I do have a few aphids on all my tomato plants now that I have been killing by hand or washing off with water, but I can't see any other pests. Other tomato plants in different locations including the Super Marzano in the same type SWC look fine.

Does anyone have any ideas?



3 comments:

  1. My one Roma is doing the same thing. It looked fine a week ago, now it looks as though it's dying. It's loaded with green tomatoes, so I don't want to pull it out. On the other hand, I'm worried it could infect the tomatoes next to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie's Granny, is your Roma in a SWC?

    I also posted to GardenWeb's Vegetable Gardening and Tomato Pest & Disease forums, but no one has responded yet. I don't know what to do. I'll let you know what I find out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever get your answer? I'm having a similar issue. :)

    ReplyDelete