Thursday, July 9, 2009

Tomato News

First I want to show you this:


These are the first tomatoes. They are teeny tiny Super Marzano Tomatoes in the Self Watering Container (SWC). We just added the trellis to this last weekend. These are my fastest growing tomatoes out of the bunch.


A feisty thunderstorm with high winds knocked around the Window Box Roma Tomatoes in their SWC earlier this week. The rest of the tomatoes faired much better as they all have supports except these two. Luckily, the only damage was the loss of a single sucker.

I propped the Romas back up and provided a few supports:


Then plopped the sucker into a glass of water to root:


I already have five Super Marzano Tomatoes that rooted from suckers that are going to need new homes soon. I potted up three, but they are quickly growing out of their pots and will need to be placed in their permanent spots.



The one in the middle in the white pot already has some buds:


I didn't plan for these extra tomato plants and there isn't any room in the gardens. I did construct another SWC during the week for two of the tomato plants. The rest will probably be planted into some large pots that are stored in the shed.

I also don't know if these tomato plants will have time to mature before the end of the growing season. It's a fun experiment. We'll just have to wait and see.

4 comments:

  1. Aren't tomatoes cool like that!! It's a great science experiment for kids to watch those suckers grow roots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your little babies.

    I just found a nickel sized tomato today... I was so excited!

    I'll have to remember that I can root the sucker branches... that's pretty neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - those suckers really took off! Hopefully you'll have enough time to get a harvest because they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ribbit, I never knew that I could grow plants from the suckers. I happen to read it on GardenWeb and EG's blog, so I thought I'd give it a try.

    Toni, Thanks for the contrats! Only a fellow gardener can understand my excitement. Rooting suckers is pretty cool, but I really don't think you need more tomato plants, Toni. Do you?

    Desert Dame, they do look great don't they. I am going to get them planted next week when I am on vacation. We will see. Of course, I'll post updates.

    ReplyDelete