Saturday, August 15, 2009

First Fastbreak Melon was Delicious

We cut into our little Fastbreak Melon that was harvested on Thurdsay.



This was the first Fastbreak Melon to form this season and I helped by hand pollinating it. I spotted it back on July 13. I watched it slowly grow….slowly because the weather wouldn’t cooperate and melons really need warm sunny conditions. Then, as other melons began popping up in the melon patch, this one at only 4-inches wide began to cork over. I knew it wouldn’t grow any larger, but that it would be ready to harvest first.

I was worried, because Annie’s Granny mentioned that she had harvested a small melon recently that was tasteless and mealy. So I cut into it and hoped for the best.

It was delicious! I shared it with K and Bradie, our yellow lab. She loves melons. It was so small we cut it in half and scooped out the flesh with a spoon like we would a grapefruit. It was such a small taste and it left us wanting more.

It took 30-days for this small Fastbreak Melon to ripen. Hopefully the others will ripen faster since the weather is much better now.

I grew Fastbreak Melons for the first time last year. They are a variety of cantaloupe melon that matures in about 70-days. They are about 6-inches in diameter and weigh approximately 4-pounds. I was hoping to have more yields this year. Last year, my garden was so overwhelmed by crabgrass and weeds that the the yields of all of my plants were reduced. This year, I was hoping the black mulch will both suppress these weeds and help keep the soil warmer, which melons love.

Three Fastbreak Melon transplants were planted in the garden Memorial Day Weekend. They didn’t grow at all until early July when they began to vine out a bit. I am relating this to the cold and rainy temperatures we endured, as melons prefer warm temperatures. Now the Fastbreak Melons, Yellow Doll Watermelons, and Crimson Sweet Watermelons are all intertwined in the garden. Once the warm weather finally hit, they absolutely took off in growth.

I can see six more melons that are almost mature, and a lot more smaller melons in various levels of maturity. The weather has been in the high 70s and 80s this week. They are growing really fast now, doubling in size in just a few days. Hopefully we will be tasting another soon.

6 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! Melons really do need the warm weather to thrive. My climate just is not a good candidate for them as a result. So I will content myself with admiring your success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad yours was good! Ours was so disappointing, but I have three more ripening from the seeds I got from Dan, and they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY, they look yummy. i may try to grow next year. I just had my first charentais today. amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @kitsapFG, I was surprised to learn that others in my area were able to grow melons, so I tried it for the first time last year. I'm not sure how temperatures are your way, but we do have some warm summer days usually. The key is finding a short season variety. I think the black plastic helped this year.

    @AG, I hope your other melons are better than the first. I wouldn't have been surprised if my first one was lousy too due to the weather we have had.

    @tammysf, I had to look up "charentais" to learn that it is actually a true cantaloupe from Europe as opposed to the cantaloupes we grow here which are actually muskmelons. Hmm, I may need to look into these for next year. Glad yours was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! And you have so many more coming along to enjoy :) .

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Crystable, yes, hopefully they will ripen soon. I am excited!

    ReplyDelete