Monday, August 10, 2009

Garden Spot's Generous Offering over the Weekend

Almost seeming to try to make up for the loss of all the tomato plants, the garden gave up a generous offering over the weekend.




Saturday we had a great stir-fry with the zucchini, summer squash, and garlic. I also baked two loaves of zucchini bread:


I grated up the rest of the zucchini in two-cup measurements, placed them in freezer bags, and put them in the freezer. These will be used for baking muffins, breads, etc. in the future.

The bush beans are producing quite well now. I am picking about a colander full each day of Blue Lake, Tendergold, and Royal Burgundy. This gives us plenty for meals, so I canned four pints of beans over the weekend:


Also in the picture above is my parsley jar half full with parsley dried and via Annie’s Kitchen Garden’s microwave method:

Layer a paper towel on a microwave safe plate.
Layer fresh, cleaned and trimmed parsley on paper towel.
Microwave for 4-5 minutes.


We are also still harvesting lettuce believe it or not. I harvested the bunches that were on the verge of bolting, and have been trimming the outer leave on the others and they continue to grow and look healthy.


I transplanted some lettuce that I had started inside, seeded more lettuce, spinach, and some peas in the SFG for fall. The peas were planted in the SFG next to the trellis where the tomatoes were removed. I am not a fan of peas, but I wanted to put the trellis to some use and I had the pea seeds on hand. I will eat pea pods as a snack, in salads, and stir-fries.

Each Monday, Daphne's Dandelions hosts "Monday Harvest" where everyone can post a link to their weekly harvest. It’s fun to see what everyone is growing and harvesting across the country. Today is my first time participating, and I see a lot of familiar blogs in the list.

9 comments:

  1. Good for you! Those are some nice harvests, and the different colored beans is quite a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the tri color of beans in the colander! Visually appealing as well as tasty too. Great harvests from your garden and the zucchini bread looks quite yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm starting to get hungry for beans again! I've had a short dry spell. Your harvests look beautiful, and now I want zucchini bread ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are such pretty beans. I love the different colors. It is too bad that purple beans don't keep their color when cooked. It would make such a pretty purple dish.

    I picked some zucchini and grated it today to freeze. I keep thinking I should have just made the bread. Yours looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use the microwave for herbs. Its the only way to go.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Engineeredgarden: Thanks, It’s nice to get some reward for all the hard work. I too love the way the beans look together too.

    @kitsapFG: Both loaves of zucchini bread are almost gone. I will have to make more soon. The beans were pretty, almost begging for their picture to be taken.

    @Annie's Granny: Thanks Granny! I love beans and could eat them every day. Hope your beans start producing for you again.

    @Daphne: Yes, I too wish the purple beans kept their color when cooked. I like them because they taste good and they are easy to see when picking.

    I froze some grated zucchini last year and thought I would never use it up, mid winter I was out and wished I had more. The bread freezes well too.

    @jbest123: I have a dehydrator, but it takes up so much counter space and seems to take forever to dry herbs. I love Granny’s method. I would have never thought to use the microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful harvest!
    I love Zucchini bread too but my zucchini's are not producing right now and the ones I had were gotten by the svb...Hopefully there will be more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the different colors of those beans! I planted the purples this year and hope they do well. Looks like you are getting a great crop of them daily. And I'm drooling over the bread!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Shawn Ann: I hope you have zucchini soon.

    @Crystabel: I picked another batch of bush beans again today. They usually produce heavily for a few weeks, than peter down. By then the pole beans should be kicking in.

    ReplyDelete