Saturday, September 26, 2009

Frosty Morning

We did have a killing frost overnight. I went out to snap some pictures of the frosty plants before the sun’s rays hits them. I don’t know yet if the plants I covered escaped damage. I won’t know until later this morning after the sun has warmed and melted the frost crystals and I remove the coverings.










Frost damage results from the liquid inside individual cells freezing and forming ice crystals. The ice crystals expand and rupture through the cell walls. When the sun warms the plant, the crystals melt, the fluids drain out of the ruptured cell walls, and the leaves wilt.

5 comments:

  1. Aw, man....that was a pretty substantial frost you got last night...Ours will happen in 3-4 weeks. Nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard for me to imagine a killing frost in September. Hopefully some things will survive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brrrr. We might get two like that in January, if we're lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! the plants do look so pretty covered with the frost though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so sad. So much of northern New England got hit. I'm guess I'm lucky to live farther south (and close to the ocean). I'm guessing I have a few more weeks left before frost. The plants however have told me that it isn't summer any more and they are all dying anyway.

    ReplyDelete