Sunday, September 20, 2009

Harvest Monday: September 21, 2009

Each Monday Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting from their gardens in different parts of the country.

Last weeks harvest included several Fast Break Melons. There are still about 6-7 more that are so close to being ripe:


A couple mini-watermelons were picked as the vines they were on had died back. Here they are along with a few zucchini. The smaller one is a Yellow Doll, the larger is a Crimson Sweet:


Here are a few Early Prolific Straightneck Squash and the last of the Ichiban Eggplant:


The remaining peppers were harvested on Friday. Here are the Jalapeno that came from my one plant that I grew from seed:


There were two baskets of the yellow peppers. These came from the plants that were supposed to be Jalapeno, but turned out to be some sort of banana pepper:


There were three baskets of Big Chili Hybrid Hot Peppers:


And three baskets of bell peppers that included New Ace Sweet Bell, King Arthur Sweet Bell, and Sweet Hybrid Bell:


Saturday morning I picked three colanders of Kentucky Wonder pole beans:


Perfect timing as I really wanted to try out my new pressure canner. It worked beautifully! Every single jar sealed and I didn’t have any loss of liquid as I have experienced previously. I did two batches of seven jars each:


We had our first light frost Saturday night. We covered the garden and hoped for the best. All is well. We didn’t lose anything and I found only little damage on a few melon vines that peeked out from under the covering.

We are expecting much warmer weather next week, so hopefully the rest of the melons will ripen soon.

8 comments:

  1. Great harvests! The pepper bounty is particularly nice looking. It looks like the maiden voyage of the pressure canner went very well too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was alot of harvests for the week! Gosh, y'all must really like peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks wonderful! Great for the pressure canner!! Oh boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, frost already!!

    How many green bean plants did you grow?

    ReplyDelete
  5. kitsapFG: Thanks! Yes, the maiden voyage with the pressure canner went really well.

    EG: Well, actually I don’t like peppers…except in salsa. So why did I have 23 plants? When I planned my garden this year, I wanted to make enough tomato sauce and salsa for our use and to give away as gifts. The beginning of the season was so cold and wet, I thought the peppers were not going to make it, so I planted six extra plants in a SWC just in case. The peppers all did well, but the tomatoes succumbed to late blight. So I have enough peppers for nine batches of salsa and no tomatoes (sigh).

    Stefaneerer: Thanks!

    Ribbit: Yup, frost already. Oh dear! You really want me to count my bean plants? Let’s just say seven rows 8-feet wide, four for the pole beans, and one row each of the yellow, burgundy, and green bush beans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What exellent harvests! The melons by far are the most tempting looking :-) I grew the big chili peppers this year, they make for a really nice green chili sauce on enchiladas. Here's my recipe:
    http://veggiegardenblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/garden-meals.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dan: I can't believe I don't remember your post on your green chili pepper sauce for Chicken Enchiladas earlier in the season. This is absolutely a perfect way to use the extra Big Chili Hybrid Peppers. I’m going to make it this week. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all your peppers, but then I actually like peppers. I've only grown hot peppers for salsa though too and have way too many peppers for that. I'm going to have them on my quesadillas over the winter. Yum.

    I really really want a pressure canner too, but I want it to cook dried beans in the winter. Supposedly it takes about a fifth of the time on the stove. Since I'm cooking in it I want one that isn't aluminum, but they all seem to be aluminum which isn't surprising though since aluminum is so strong.

    ReplyDelete