Sunday, September 13, 2009

Making and Eating Salsa

After a few hassles yesterday, I finally got all the beans either canned or blanched/frozen. First, I ran out of pint jars, and then my canner was acting up (I need to invest in a new canner).

Once the canned beans were cooling and the rest of the beans were blanched and frozen, I began chopping up the ingredients for Annie’s Salsa by GardenWeb member annie1992. Here are the peppers I harvested for the salsa:


The recipe I found on GardenWeb that I linked to yesterday said it was for 6 pints. It was only after I was deeply involved in chopping before I realized that it was going to amount to more than 6 pints. Not a problem, as I have plenty of pint jars and lids, but my canner that I also use for boiling water bath holds only 5 jars. So this was going to take a little longer than I planned, since I had to process the jars in batches. It ended up filling 12 one-pint jars with a little left over for sampling. Here is the recipe:
ANNIE’S SALSA
8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
2 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper
3-5 chopped jalapenos
6 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup vinegar
16 oz. tomato sauce
16 oz tomato paste

Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce temperature and simmer 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process in Boiling Water Bath for 10 minutes. Makes 12 pints.

Here's what it looks like all mixed together:

There were three jars that didn’t seal, so I placed these in the fridge, as I knew we would be using these up today for Football Sunday.


Among the food we ate on Sunday was Mexican Lasagna using the salsa. Here is the recipe:
MEXICAN LASAGNA
1 lb. ground turkey or beef
1.25 oz. pkg. or 7 Tbsp taco seasoning mix (*salt free recipe below)
1 cup water
4 8-inch flour tortilla
16 oz. can refried beans
16 oz. salsa
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese of choice
1/4 cup cilantro

In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, brown ground meat over medium-high heat, breaking into small pieces, drain. Stir in taco seasoning mix and water. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered 2-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of liquid is absorbed. Heat oven to 400ºF.

In an ungreased 9-inch pie pan, layer one flour tortilla. Spread refried beans on tortilla, spread salsa, spread meat filling, and spread cheese. Repeat layers. Spread cilantro on top.

Cover and bake 17-22 minutes until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes to set before slicing.

*TACO SEASONING MIX
6 tsp chili powder
5 tsp paprika
4 1/2 tsp cumin
3 tsp onion powder
2 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

In storage container with tight fitting lid, combine all ingredients, mix well. Seal tightly. Store in cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Seven teaspoons of mix equals a 1.25 ounce pkg. of purchased taco seasoning mix.

This is what it looks like before baking:


It was yummy!

4 comments:

  1. We've made three rounds of Annie's salsa so far. It's unbeatable!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That mexican lasagna looks pretty dang good! I bet i'd really like it. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made 38 pints of Annie's Salsa...it's so good! I get 9 pints from a single batch, too. I'll probably be making more, as my kids keep taking jars of it home with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ribbit: We liked it, but found its quite saucy/pasty.

    EG: It was surprisingly good.

    AG: I actually got 12 pints, 3 were placed in the fridge as they didn't seal.

    ReplyDelete