Monday, September 7, 2009

Meme Award

Laura (aka kitsapFG) from the Modern “Victory Garden” has kindly tagged me for the "Meme Award."



This is such an honor as Laura’s website and blog are such an inspiration to me. Laura has taken the “victory garden” approach from our past and has improved it to provide her family with 100% of their vegetables and 40% of their fruit needs. This allows her family to be free from corporate food systems that require a dependence on fossil fuels for transportation and have been failing us more and more through the years (i.e. salmonella, E. coli, and other bacteria that doesn’t make the news). In addition to her blog, Laura is always generous with her helpful advice, encouraging comments, and sympathy when a crop fails. Thank you so much, Laura!

The Meme award guidelines:
1. Link back to the person who gave you the award

2. Reveal 7 things about yourself

3. Tag 7 other bloggers at the end of your post and link to them

4. Let each blogger know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

5. Let the tagger know when your post is up.

Here are the seven things about myself:

1. Hobbies never “stick” with me. It’s not that I don’t like hobbies, I really do. They can be so much fun. However, I seem to develop an obsession with the hobby and quickly burn myself out. There are so many things that I have tried, liked, purchased books about, researched online, acquired the materials, enjoyed for a little while, and then just stopped doing it ever again. Some of the things I have tried are cross-stitch, making candles, studying various historical events, sewing teddy bears, researching family history/genealogy, and even a brief (very brief) bout with learning yoga.

The only hobbies that I continue with seem to be practical ones, such as gardening (it is seasonal and feeds us), wine making (better tasting wine that is less expensive), and reading (although a lot of my reading is done with my laptop lately and not with a book).

2. I was a tomboy growing up. Even my closest friends probably wouldn’t guess that of me now, but I used to catch snakes and frogs and beg my mother to keep them as pets. She would usually allow me to keep them for a little while in a small fish tank. They would eventually either escape or she would ask me to set them free. I was fascinated by nature (still am) and would wander and explore outside each opportunity I had. In the summer, my hair was usually tangled and my knees dirty.

3. I am absolutely petrified of wasps and yellow jackets. Bugs never bothered me as a child. I was taught to respect the stinging ones and I wouldn’t get hurt. For some reason now as an adult the sight of a wasp or yellow jacket will scare me into almost running away.

4. I don’t like clothes shopping. I know most women do, but for some reason I find it such a waste of time. I could never go to the mall and just browse through all the clothing stores for fun. Visits to the mall have to have a purpose, such as finding an outfit for a special event or buying a new fall wardrobe (yes, I try to do it all in one trip to get it over with). I get more enjoyment spending my time gardening than running from store to store looking for the right outfit and matching accessories, etc. I love dressing up and looking my best, and take great pride that everything looks just so…but the shopping part is just so time consuming.

5. I hate driving. I do drive and I am a pretty good driver (no tickets), but if given a choice, I would rather not drive. I also hate driving when I don’t know where I am going. I have to map it out and have the map with me so I know where the next turn is.

6. I have a warm spot in my heart for animals. We share our home with two black cats named Jasmine and Mysty and a yellow lab named Bradie. They are our family. I am a member of several online rescue forums where we try to find rescue for Labs and Goldens before they are euthanized for space. I focus on several shelters in the South as the need is so much greater than my area. I mostly email rescues to alert them of Labs or Goldens that are posted in shelters in their area. I invest myself in each dog that I take responsibility for and follow up with communication between the shelter and potential rescues. It is both rewarding and heartbreaking. In fact, I had to take a break from this recently, it was getting too difficult and I was becoming depressed.

7. I am scared to ride a bike. As a kid I biked everywhere I wanted to go. Several years ago, I bought a bike thinking it would be great exercise, it ended up sitting in the basement until I gave it away. I found out quickly that now as an adult traffic scares me and I am afraid I’ll hit a hole and wipe out.

I’m quite boring aren’t I? It was quite easy for me to reveal seven things about myself because I am new to having an online identity. I don’t have a FaceBook page nor do I use Twitter, etc. I am also a pretty private person and don’t share much of myself online. So it was pretty easy to divulge these seven things about me.

As for passing along the award to seven other bloggers, I found it quite difficult to choose. I have so many blogs that I love reading and I add new ones to the mix every day. To me, blogs are like a great novels unfolding and I can’t resist turning the page to see what happens next. However, since this blog is a gardening blog, I will pass on the “Meme Award” to some of the fellow gardening blogs that I have followed along with this year eliminating those who have already received this award. Here they are in no particular order:
Our Engineered Garden
Toni's Weedless Square Foot Garden
The Corner Yard
Gardening With Care
Shawn Ann’s Garden
Tales of a Transplanted Gardener
Crystabel’s Garden


Thank you for sharing your gardening experiences and inspiring me to learn all I can to have a more productive harvest.

12 comments:

  1. I'm 2, 4, 5, and 6 too. I do love bike riding however. The traffic scares me, but I love riding so much I get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a wonderful read, thank you for sharing yourself with the rest of us =) Scarily, I have to admit to relating to each point of yours. The driving comments cracked me up, I've only ever gotten blank stares and odd looks when I mention I don't like driving. Goodluck with your work for the animal shelters, I can understand it can be depressing but you are an amazing person to help out the way you do. All the best, Dot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that was certainly a fun and informative read! I could relate to so many things but #4 was a homerun for me. I budget for a spring and fall clothes shopping for all of us. I give my husband and daughter their cash and they are responsible to take care of their own shopping. As for me, I do one big effort (with a list in hand) and don't go back for clothes shopping until the next budgeted time to do so! LOL! I really do not like it. I enjoy the clothes and dress nicely, but the shopping makes me stressed out and tired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, shucks. I don't ride bikes or like shopping either!!! How funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing tidbits of yourself with us! Thanks for nominating me too! I'm posting my acceptance speech soon. I can relate to most of the things you listed, and I had a hard time coming up with things that wouldn't sound like I was repeating you LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daphne: Yeah, I don’t like riding so much anymore anyway. So I had no motivation to get over it.

    Dot: I get some weird looks too about the driving thing. Luckily K understands and doesn’t mind. I love animals and want to do more for them someday.

    kitsapFG: It’s getting chilly and I am going to need some new fall clothing soon. Not looking forward to it ☺ .

    Ribbit: LOL!

    Momma_S: You are very welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry it took me so long to respond...you know pregnancy and 3 yr olds and all! But thanks! I have finally posted my response!
    Thank you for thinking of me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It WAS quite time consuming, wasn't it? But a lot of fun learning more about the people behind the blogs I enjoy so much. Thank you for playing along.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so with you on clothes shopping. I had one fun time doing it, and it's manageable with my husband (who is just now clueing in to it going better if he feeds me snacks like a toddler along the way).

    I have tried almost everything. Sticking with a few things, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm slower than Shawn Ann and don't have a toddler to blame, but I will be following up on the Meme. Thanks!! It seems like when I have time to sit down and post lately I'm so tired I feel like my blog could turn into an incoherent ramble!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stefaneer: Feed YOU snacks?!? LOL!

    Amy: It's ok, please don't feel pressured or obligated. You won't hurt my feelings :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I posted my 7 tonight. Thanks! http://transplantedgardener.blogspot.com/2009/09/meme-award.html

    ReplyDelete