Saturday, September 5, 2009

Peppers are Changing Color!

I’ve been picking a few green peppers here and there, but mostly leaving them on the plants hoping that they will ripen before the end of season. I was just convinced this will not happen when I saw that this occurred mostly overnight:






I am going to leave them in the garden spot for as long as I can or until warnings of our first frost. Then they will be harvested, cut up and frozen for future use. I planted them in the hopes of canning up a large batch of salsa at the end of the season, but losing the tomatoes to late blight has altered that plan unless I purchase some tomatoes at one of the local farmers markets.

3 comments:

  1. Oh cool!
    So when you freeze them, is there anything special to that? Do you just chop them up and throw them in a freezer bag? I've never frozen anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystabel: Nothing special. I just clean them, cut them up, place them into freezer bags, squeeze out as much air as I can, and pop them into the freezer. They won't be good in salads after freezing, but they can be used in salsa, stir fry, and adding to other cooked foods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some mighty fine looking peppers! Mine are turning color now too.

    ReplyDelete