Thursday, September 10, 2009

Totally Off Topic: Busy Week

Boy this has been such a busy and stressful week. Like many businesses, the place I am employed has been struggling in this economy. It is unfortunate that we have had several rounds of layoffs over the past year. Now we had to reduce our workweek from 5- to 4-days to cut costs even further.

This has been extremely difficult for me because as the work has decreased for the rest of the company, the marketing efforts have increased in attempt to generate more sales. I am the Graphic Designer/Creative Services Director for this company, so I am feeling a lot of pressure to complete projects quickly to benefit the company.

I am optimistic that we will pull out of this as we have gained some great customers recently that have a lot of potential. I have several catalog projects in the works that ALWAYS generate sales when they are released. The faster the next catalog can be mailed, the faster new orders can start coming in. However, now I am reduced to only 4-days to complete these projects. Argh!

In addition, I have one less day of pay and the future danger that my place of employment just may not make it out of this. So, I have taken on some independent projects to make up the difference. The problem with independent projects is they have their own independent deadlines that don’t conform easily to another fulltime job that is no longer fulltime.

It is a good thing the garden is winding down for the season, as I wouldn’t have much time to devote to it. I think I will harvest my peppers this weekend. I have been letting them grow and ripen for as long as I dare. There have been several frost advisories north of us lately. I’m not sure I want to chance it much further.

I had a great harvest from the garden this week and will post more about it over the weekend.

6 comments:

  1. Yikes, sorry to hear that. My husband lost his job last year due to cutbacks and it was a rough time. Praying that things work out well for you!
    OH, you just made me realize I didn't check my peppers today - got sidetracked by the squash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were even furloughed earlier this year. I always thoughtteachers would be safe from this. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get a chance to take a deep breath now and then too. Work life has been crazy for me too (more so than usual) but for different reasons than you are facing. I am involved with a large community redevelopment project and we are moving forward with the first big phase of work - despite this horrible economy. My job is to assemble and solidify the funding package for this $18 million dollar phase of the work. I am pleased to report that all but $2.1 million is in the bag at this point - and I am chasing the last chunk of it fiercely. All of this is without the assumption of debt which is a miracle in this economy. It did not happen though on its own and has required major time commitments and stress.

    I hope things work out okay for your employer and for you. These are definitely challenging times. I think our gardens are more important now than ever as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystabel: Thanks for the prayers and kind words. I am pretty much prepared as well as I can, so I’ll be ok. Sorry you had to experience your husband loosing his job too.

    Ribbit: I remember reading about your furlough day and being surprised by this too. I guess no one is immune when the economy is this bad.

    kitsapFG: I don’t handle stress well so I make huge efforts at keeping my life stress free, organized, and low key. This is throwing a bit of chaos into it, but not so much that I can’t handle it…yet. Things will work themselves out one way or another. The only thing I can do about a situation I have little control over is try to prepare myself to the worst case scenario.

    Congrats on your success so far at acquiring the funds for your community project. It sounds like you are very good at your job. This will provide jobs for many in your community.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Lady. I'm sorry to hear things are a little rough on the job side of life. DH is a Web Developer, and has spent many-a-evening working to help support the family, so I understand how stressful the independent contracting can be... I wish you the best of luck, and you are in my thoughts.

    It's a good thing there's a garden to go out to when stress relief and distraction is needed. A blessing, I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Momma_S: Thanks for your kind words. Your hubby paid his dues and now he is famous. THAT will always look good on a resume.

    Luckily gardening does help. There is also some landscaping that I am hoping to get to before the snow flies.

    ReplyDelete