Thursday, October 1, 2009

Bread & Butter Pickles and Tarter Sauce

A month ago, Granny from Annie’s Kitchen Garden posted a recipe for her favorite bread and butter pickles. I don’t like pickles myself, but K does. So I thought I would try making some. I didn’t grow many cucumber plants this year, but had about a pound gathered to use. So I divided up Granny’s recipe to make a single pint of bread and butter pickles.



Here is the link to Granny’s Favorite Bread & Butter Pickles

They were a hit! K loves them. Thanks Granny for sharing your favorite Bread & Butter Pickle recipe. I'll be planting more cucumbers next year.

I used some of the pickles to make a tarter sauce for some grilled salmon burgers and I enjoyed the pickles that way. Here is the recipe:

Tarter Sauce
1 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
1/4 cup finely chopped bread and butter pickles
1 Tbsp finely chopped onion
1 Tbsp snipped parsley
1 tsp lemon juice

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, cover and chill at least 2 hours before serving.

3 comments:

  1. Only one pint? I bet everyone will fight over them! Gosh...I've done like 25 quarts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah only one and it's almost gone. We don't eat many pickles. I'll make more next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes doing just a little of a new recipe is a good idea anyways. I made a full batch of some spiced pickled red cabbage (6 pints) and I regret to say that none of us can stand it!! LOL! It's wasting pantry space at the moment. Had I only done one pint to test the recipe out first, I would have not consumed so much produce on such an awful recipe.

    ReplyDelete