Sunday, October 4, 2009

Garden Spot 2009 Review

I must be a little crazy because yesterday I started planning my 2010 garden. I have the long winter to do this, but the rain was preventing me from working outside. Also, this was the first weekend I didn’t have a lot of harvest to freeze or can and it just seemed smart to do this while this year’s growing season was fresh in my mind.

It all started with the garlic that I need to plant in the next few weeks. I am planting more garlic for next year as I use a lot of it. I knew I wanted to plant it the square foot gardens (SFGs) because it is much easier to control the weeds. Right now I only have three 4x4 boxes. Currently, all three have squares that are still occupied by parsley, lettuce, spinach and peas. I didn’t want to use areas where I may want to plant other items next year…..One thing led to another and I found myself plotting a general layout for next year.

I began by evaluating this years garden….what did well, what we needed more or less of, what I would like to add for next season, etc.

This is the first year I have felt good about my garden. In the years past, I didn’t view my garden as a serious source of food, just a hobby. The battle with grass and weeds were discouraging. This year with the square foot gardens and the plastic mulch the weed issue was almost nil allowing the plants to grow without battling for water, space, or nutrition.

I will focus on the 2009 Garden Spot evaluation in the upcoming days. The next post will be a review the challenges of the 2009 season.

5 comments:

  1. Honey, I started planning next year's garden when the summer one went in. It's got to be my favorite part of the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to plant my garlic soon too. I think I'll just plant it in the bed I dug up recently. It is the easiest thing to do (and follows my bed rotation). I just want to save planning for when I've got no gardening to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! You're not crazy for planning ahead. It gives you something to look forward to, and fine tune when you're needing a garden fix but don't have anything in the yard to go out to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ribbit: He he, then maybe I am not crazy after all?

    Daphne: That was part of my problem. I didn't really have a rotation system in place. I will probably change things a million times before planting next spring.

    Momma_S: Our winters are pretty long here, but I will be starting from seed so it doesn't seem too far away. I am looking forward to next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are not alone. I have my 2010 garden all planned out and some seeds already bought.

    Liisa

    ReplyDelete