Saturday, October 10, 2009

Our Favorite Salsa

Today is looking like a beautiful day for yard cleanup. We have had some crazy weather this week, cold nights and some thunderstorms with high winds that have stripped most of the leaves off the trees already. I am going to do some strategic mowing to both shred the leaves a little and to condense them as much as possible into a large pile so they can be easily raked onto a tarp and gathered up for the compost pile. I am hoping to complete the rest of the garden cleanup this weekend too.

First I am making some salsa. It is simmering as I write this and it smells so good.

A while back I made “Annie’s Salsa” and although it was good, we thought it was a little on the tomato pastey side…more like a sauce rather than a salsa. Although a lot of people love it and rave about it, it just didn’t work for us. Over the years I have found that there is a wide variety of individual preferences to salsa, some people like more or less spice, chunkiness, sweetness, etc. Some prefer cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, regular vinegar, or even lemon juice….each gives the salsa a different flavor.

Finding a salsa recipe that we like has taken a lot of effort and many failed batches. I tried a lot of recipes before I found one that we liked then tweaked it so that we really liked it. So why did I abandon this recipe and try another salsa? Well, the one I use has not been proven safe for canning. If you plan on caning your salsa, you should stick to the Ball Blue Book recipes as these are tested and approved for safety.

This recipe can be kept in the fridge for a few days for fresh eating and the rest frozen for later. Instead of simply opening a jar, I have to remember pull it out of the freezer a couple days ahead to thaw it out before using. Just a small inconvenience. Here is the recipe:

GrafixMuse’s Favorite Salsa

5 cups tomatoes (about 3 lbs.), peeled and diced
3 green peppers, diced
2 red peppers, diced
3 jalapeno peppers, diced
1 roasted chili pepper, diced
2 large onions, diced
4 cloves garlic
1/4 cup Cilantro, chopped
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1/4 cup vinegar
1 T crushed red pepper
1 T canning salt
1 T sugar

Combine all ingredients in a large, nonreactive pot, bring to a boil, and simmer until thick, at least two hours, stirring often.

Allow to cool and divide into pint sized freezer containers and freeze. Makes 6-8 pints.


This batch of salsa was much easier this time because I chopped and froze all my peppers in salsa batches eliminating half the work. My food processor made quick work of chopping the onions and garlic. The most time consuming part was blanching, peeling, and chopping the tomatoes.

Here is what it looks like all mixed up and simmering in the pot:

4 comments:

  1. I can't comment on annie's salsa, because I've never tried it. I make lin's salsa (my bil), and can't imagine any better than his.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't eat that much salsa, or I suppose I'd try many different recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like many different salsa's - each brings a different flavor sensation. That recipe looks like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EG: Take it from me, if you have a salsa you like, don't change. I'll use up the other salsa in cooked stuff and use the new batch for nachos and dipping.

    Stefaneener: There are just so many ways to make salsa and everyone likes different things.

    kitsapFG: For some reason we seem to be rather picky about our salsa. This is the one that works best for us. It is slightly different each time depending on the types of peppers and tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete