Sunday, November 22, 2009

Harvest Monday: November 23, 2009

I am very excited to be able to participate in Daphne’s Dandelions Harvest Mondays this week. Below is my harvest for the week:


This is the only tomato that I have harvested this season. It’s a Super Marzano Tomato that came from a tomato plant that is growing inside. For those of you who don’t know, like many of us on the East coast, I lost all my tomatoes to Late Blight this past season before a single tomato blushed. You can read about it here and here.

This is a tomato plant that I rooted from a sucker back in July before Late Blight struck. My procrastination allowed it to live. At first, I kept it inside so I could care for it properly until it could be potted up and eventually planted outside. Then, it turned out I didn’t really have any place to plant it out in the garden. So it stayed on my windowsill. It grew as well as it could in its confined pot. I potted it up twice since then and it actually produced a few tomatoes:



And has a few more blossoms:



This little tomato was only about 3-inches long and was sliced up and used as a pizza topping along with some fresh rosemary that is also growing on the windowsill:



Hopefully there will be more to follow. This window in the winter actually receives a lot of sunlight and the woodstove keeps this room quite warm. I am curious to see how long this tomato plant will last.


Visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others have harvested this week.

14 comments:

  1. Congrats on your tomato. I hope it keeps producing all winter long for you. Tomatoes for me are just a dim memory now, so I'm envious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a "windowsill" pizza! Good work keeping that tomato plant going so well indoors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great! Boy, that little tomato made a good looking pizza! I hope the plant continues to grow for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had a sunny windowsill! All I have is Mr. H to pack my two plants out to the sun each morning and back inside at night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the little tomato plant could make it all the way through winter to be planted outside next spring! Good looking pizza, I bet it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's amazing! I never knew that you could grow a tomato indoors...and from a sucker too! Did you just stick it in a pot or used some sort of rotting product?

    The pizza looks delicious. I can't wait for tomato season next summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daphne: Thanks! I am just thrilled to get one. Any further tomatoes will be a bonus.

    kitsapFG: It WAS a windowsill pizza. Should have taken a picture of the rosemary too.

    EG: The tomato was good and I don’t even like tomatoes much.

    Granny: No sunny windowsill at all? I guess I am lucky, the house was built to let the sun shine in. There are no windows on the north side of the building at all.

    Michelle: I am going to allow it to grow as long as it can, but I don’t know if it will make it through the winter. We keep the temperatures quite cool in the house. It may be too cold for the tomato plant. We will see.

    Thomas: I never knew you could grow a tomato plant inside either. I plucked the sucker off the plant back in July and plopped it into a glass of water. Within a week, it had roots growing. I potted it up in a small pot with good quality potting mix and kept it on the windowsill so I could watch it and make sure it had enough water. The plant grows very slowly when confined to a small pot. When it was showing signs of stress, I potted it up and it recovered. I get a lot of sunshine through my windows especially now that the sun is lower in the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to know! Maybe I'll try this next summer. I love growing things just for the sake of watching it grow. In this case, I'm glad you got something tasty out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh fantastic ! Just look at it, it's perfect. And what a lovely pizza !
    You could be getting fresh toms all winter, fancy that ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet that was one lovely tasting tomato. So sorry to hear about the blight but windowsill tomatoes are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a bummer to loss all your tom's this season. Looks like nature can't keep your down though, that indoor tom looks great! I had blight as well, I'm guessing I lost 70% of my fruit. Next year better not bring more blight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thomas: I had four tomato plants growing really well in the garden that came from suckers. Before the blight, they were catching up fast to the others.

    Miss M: I'm crossing my fingers that this tomato plant gives me a few more tomatoes.

    Prue: It was a good tasting tomato....all three-inches of it :)

    Dan: After losing all my tomatoes outside, this little guy was kept in away from any open windows. I was afraid the blight spores would come in through the screen. I agree, no more blight!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Thanksgiving, GrafixMuse! I hope you and your family have a wonderful day.

    Love,
    Thomas, Marc and Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Talk about local! That's a wonderful tomato. I bet you can keep it going well into next year -- I think they're perennial in the right conditions, sort of.

    ReplyDelete