Friday, November 6, 2009

A Scrap of Honesty: The “Honest Scrap Award”

I am an online social networking newbie. I have yet to tweet, join facebook or myspace, and I have only been blogging for a short time. I began this blog mostly as a personal garden journal and never really thought anyone would read it. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised by the community that can quickly form and grow among strangers from all over and all walks of life who happen to share a similar interest. I have learned, shared, and been inspired by many fellow garden bloggers.

I noticed that many of you are also members of Blotanical, a social network for gardening bloggers all over the world. I joined Blotanicall recently for more reading material now that my gardening is over for the long winter. I thought I would enjoy seeing what others were growing in other parts of the country and world.

As I was struggling to figure out how to maneuver around Blotanical, Jean from Jean’s Garden sent me a message. Turns out she gardens only a few towns over from me. As I was marveling at the coincidence, Jean asked if I knew Allison from A Tasteful Garden? I did not, but I quickly hopped over to A Tasteful Garden and learned that not only do we live and garden in the same town, but we also share a similar profession.

Since this discovery, I have become a fan and frequent visitor to A Tasteful Garden. The blog is not only about gardening. Allison shares her creative self in many ways by intertwining whimsical design with fabulous photography, and magnificent recipes. She also shares inspirational patterned textiles, illustrations, and pottery. Her daily photos and weekly wine walks remind me to interact more with nature and take a moment to enjoy the beauty around me.

Allison from A Tasteful Garden has kindly awarded the “Honest Scrap Award” to GrafixMuse’s Garden Spot. Allison, I am truly honored that you have passed this award on to my blog. I graciously accept and agree to pay this honor forward.



Here are the Guidelines of The Honest Scrap Award:
1. Brag about the award.
2. Include the name of the blogger who bestowed the award on me and link back to the blogger.
3. Choose a minimum of seven (7) blogs that I find brilliant in content or design.
4. Show their names and links and leave a comment informing them that they were prized with Honest Weblog.
5. List at least ten (10) honest things about myself.

With 1 and 2 complete, I will move on to 3. There are a lot of blogs I read that I feel are brilliant in content or design. This was a difficult decision, but here they are in no particular order:

The Modern “Victory Garden”
A Growing Tradition
Daphne’s Dandelions
Sicilian Sisters Grow Some Food
The Corner Yard
The Informal Gardner
Urban Veggie Garden Blog
Jean’s Garden

Here are the 10 Honest Things About Myself. Some of these are quirky some are strange, but I am who I am, flaws and all. I hope you find these as amusing as I do:

1. I am number challenged. Even simple math can paralyze me even though I use it every day in my job. I often have to rely on a calculator and carry one with me always. I can’t even remember phone numbers. In fact if you ask me for my cell phone number, I will have to pull out my phone and look it up.

2. I can’t make a purchase of over $100 without doing research online, reading reviews, and shopping online to be sure I am getting the best value for my money.

3. As I mature, I find that I am a homebody. I would much rather cook dinner at home and watch a DVD with K and our animals, then go out for a night on the town. In the summer, I look forward to weekends because I can put on “gardening clothes” putter around the yard.

4. I am a workaholic. When I am working on a major design project, it is usually all consuming. If I am not actively working on the project, I am usually thinking about it. I have to divide up the project into smaller mini-goals so I feel some level of completeness and accomplishment before I dive back in to reach the next mini-goal. Luckily my employer allows me to adjust my work schedule to accommodate this. They allow me to often work from home to avoid interruptions and stay focused. I take great pride in completing my projects on time.

5. I have very hard natural nails. I am lucky that my nails seem to grow long and look really good when polished. I have to thank my mom for this as she helped to stop my nasty habit of chewing my nails at a young age. I have my nails manicured once every 4-weeks, but feel the need to clip them short often because they get in the way with typing and gardening.

6. My hair began turning grey when I was 18 years old. While most women in their 20s color their hair because it is stylish and fun, I was coloring my hair to cover the grey.

7. I hate driving in snow. Even though I live in Maine and it snows often, the absolute last place I want to be is on the road during a snowstorm. If there is more than 2-inches of snow on the road, I usually work from home instead of traveling to the office. Thank goodness again that my employer is flexible and allows me to do this.

8. I am a trustworthy person. I seem to be the person people come to when they need to talk or vent about various situations. I try to be nonjudgmental and try to keep an open mind on different perspectives, and I am honest when asked to give my opinion or viewpoint on certain situations. However, if someone says, “Please, don’t tell anyone.” I usually don’t unless it can cause someone great harm.

9. I have difficulty pronouncing certain words. I am well educated, read voraciously, and have a wide diversity of vocabulary, but sometimes when in conversation I am suddenly unable to pronounce the word I want to use. I can see the word, spell the word, and completely understand the meaning; but when I open my mouth to speak the word, it sometimes comes out garbled or I end up exaggerating the enunciation of the syllables of the word.

10. You can almost always find me in heels. I have the misfortune to being rather short. To compensate, I almost always wear heels or some sort of footwear that elevates me at least a couple of inches. It helps when trying to reach the highest shelf in the grocery store. I only wear sneakers when I am walking the dog or puttering around the yard.

Whew! That was tough. Now I am off to let the bloggers on my list know they have been tagged.

13 comments:

  1. I wish I was a little bit shorter, because it's kinda hard to not stick out in a crowd of people at 6'4". Numbers are something that give most people problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the award. I see from your write up you and I have a few things in common...
    Math
    Projects (though mine are garden related)
    Heals - I'm short.
    Staying home more as I get older
    Can't bring myself to signing up on Facebook or My Space.
    Blogging more of a Journal for myself
    and the whole word thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. EG, are you really 6'4" ?! I never would have guessed. (You don't look it on your videos)

    GrafixMuse, I truly enjoyed learning all these wonderful things about you ! I struggle with words ALL THE TIME, but that's probably because I'm French ! :P
    (Seriously, I really do, in French too).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooops !
    ps. thanks for tagging me.
    pps. Is misspelling "Blotanical" part of the word thing ? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for tagging me! You're a sweetie. I just think myself taller -- no heels for me, ouch!

    Gardening is expanding my horizons all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved hearing more about you. I laughed about the one on nails. My nails are finally hard, but because I garden so much I don't wear polish. I have to redo it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I know why your blog posts resonate so well for me... it's not just the common interests of food production gardening.... we also share many things in common.

    Thank you for tagging me with this award. I am going to have to think on this one a bit to see if I can truly come up with some things to share that I have not already done to date.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really EG? 6’4” ? When it comes to numbers, it’s hard to tell if there is a misconnection in my brain or if it’s psychological.

    Liisa: I like these types of awards because you learn so much about others.

    Miss M: I grew up in a bilingual French/English community. The people around me were always dipping back and fourth between French and English in normal conversation. I can’t use that at an excuse thought as I don’t speak French.

    Oops! I probably should have added “Spelling” to the list. I fixed it, thanks :)

    Stefaneener: I try to think of myself taller, but K is 6-feet tall so he’s a constant reminder that I am short.

    Mary Delle: Welcome! Yes, nails and gardening don’t go well together. Gloves only help a little.

    kitsapFG: I am looking forward to reading what you reveal in your post. I know it isn’t easy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. An interesting read. I hope you have as much fun joining Blotanical and blogging as I am having.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy except for 3 (though I've been working on changing that one a bit) and 8 we have nothing in common, except for that whole New England gardening thing. Hmm maybe I'll compare us when I accept your award. And thanks for the honor. The place where we are really alike? Well I would have picked your list of bloggers too. Can I just copy it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the honor! I will do my best to come up with a few interesting things about myself...if not, I'll just make a few things up. (JUST KIDDING!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joanne: Thanks!

    Daphne: I've read your response. You were not kidding. We really don't have much in common.

    Thomas: You are very welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. After you awarded the Honest Scrap Award to Daphne, she bestowed it on me, but I have no idea what to do with it. I haven't been able to get it posted on my sidebar. I think the best I can do is save the photo to my hard drive and then paste it into a blog post. But then how do I forward the neme (or is it a meme?) to the bloggers I nominate? Any advice? --Lou

    ReplyDelete