I had some old Early Girl hybrid tomato seeds. I was unsure of their viability, so I used EG’s germination method to see if any would sprout.
Following EG's instructions, I layered a small plastic container with a paper towel and placed several seeds on top:
I dripped water on the paper towel until it was saturated. Then closed up the container and placed it in a warm place:
I checked it daily for sprouting and made sure the paper towel didn’t dry out. After several days, I added the rest of the seeds to the container. There were eight seeds in all, I was hoping for at least 50% germination out of these old seeds.
After a while, I gave up on these seeds. Assumed they were too old to germinate and placed the container aside. Last Sunday, I thought I would use the container to germinate some newer tomato seeds I recently purchased. When I opened the container and looked at the old seeds, I spotted some growth! Upon closer inspection, I found four seeds sprouted!
I carefully placed the sprouted seeds into soil blocks and misted them with water. I checked them later in the day and found that the sprouts almost doubled in size:
I think I am going to like this germination method. However, I need to be more patient and allow the seed to germinate before giving up on them.
I started the rest of my tomato seeds this past weekend using the same method.
Wish me luck!