Monday, May 31, 2010

Harvest Mondays: Spinach & Garlic Chive Pesto

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Mondays” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting from their gardens in different areas.

The warm weather we experienced last week caused most of the spring planting of spinach to bolt:



I harvested what I could and pulled the bolted plants:



There are still a few spinach plants remaining in the garden that didn’t look like they were bolting yet. I hope they hang on for a little while longer.

I used some of the spinach to make a spinach and garlic chive pesto. Here is a rough recipe although I didn’t really measure anything:

Quick Spinach & Garlic Pesto

Ingredients:
1/2 cup garlic chives
1 cup fresh spinach
1 clove garlic, crushed
4 basil leaves
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese

Place the garlic chives, parsley, spinach, and garlic in a blender or food processor. Pulse until finely minced. Add olive oil and cheese, and process until blended.



I sautéed the shrimp with a little bit of the pesto, and served over whole wheat linguini:



It was a quick meal and I was pleased with the fresh flavor of the spinach in the pesto:



Other harvests this week have included daily salads from lettuce, spinach, and Swiss chard clippings:



Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that recipe. We will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very yummy! I love the flavor of spinach and pasta.

    I've been meaning to ask you about your upside warming bottles. Have you done a post on these? I'd be interested to see how they work and how you made them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, that looks delicious, and amazingly, I have everything available. I smell dinner :-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to use spinach to make a pesto! Definitely going to have to give that a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pesto does sound good. It's amazing what all works together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spinach pesto with shrimp, yum, yum! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's amazing how versatile pesto can be, it can accommodate so many different greens, one of my favorite versions is made with arugula. Your's looks really good, especially with the shrimp - yum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spinach and garlic chive pesto sound amazing! I like the lettuce watering devices.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That shrimp dish looks delicious.I've been eating a lot of salads too.

    ReplyDelete