Sunday, May 30, 2010

Hazy Sky and the Smell of Smoke


We woke this morning to a hazy sky and the smell of smoke. I was alarmed and went outside to see if there was a fire nearby. It was very windy and we haven’t had any rain for over a week. It wouldn’t take much for a fire to race through the woods that surround our home. I couldn’t see anything, so I went inside and jumped on the internet to see if any news of a fire in my area had been reported.

Turns out the smoky haze and smell was coming from dozens of forest fires in Quebec, Canada: “Winds hamper efforts to battle Quebec fires”.

My heart goes out to all those affected by the fires and hope that they are under control soon.

5 comments:

  1. I had the same reaction when I went outside this morning, wondering whether one of my neighbors was burning illegally (I can't imagine that the fire department would issue a permit for a day like this) or if there might be a fire smoldering in the woods behind my house. (The latter happened once before after a lightning strike.) It wasn't until the evening news that I learned about the fires in Quebec. Thanks for the link to the news article. I'm hoping that we actually get this rain they're forecasting for Tuesday. -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm quite amazed that the smoke reached you ! I guess smoke will travel. Luckily, there are no major fires in my area. Such a dry and hot May has really aggravated the problem this season. The soil in the garden is bone dry. We need rain !

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always fear fire season here, especially after a very rainy spring. I know what it's like to sniff the wind suspiciously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jean: I too wondered if my neighbors were burning illegally on such a windy day. The smell of smoke it pretty bad again this morning. Between the smoke and the pollen I can't breath very well.

    Miss M: Thank goodness there are no fires near you. The wind has been quite fierce lately both fueling the fires and pushing the smoke and ash our way. Firefighters are pouring in from all over, I hope things are under control soon and we get some rain.

    Stefaneener: K was in LA several years ago during some CA fires, he said this was almost as bad as far as air quality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete