Friday, May 7, 2010

Seedling Update


It’s been a while since I have posted an update on the seedlings. Most of the spring crops have now been planted outside. The remaining seedlings under the lights are tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and some herbs.

Last weekend, I rearranged the soil blocks in the flats again by plant height so I can adjust the lights appropriately. Some of the peppers and smaller tomatoes were getting a bit shaded out by the taller plants. Also, a few of the tomatoes plants were crammed up into the lights.

The tomato plants have jumped up in growth over the last several weeks. These really needed to be potted up last week when I took these photos. I have potted up some during the week and the remainder will be potted up this weekend:



















I had germination issues with the peppers, so they are at different stages of growth. Hopefully they will catch up by the time they are planted into the garden in June. These are two of the largest pepper seedlings, Anaheim:


















Japanese Eggplant:


















Basil:


















Seeded last week were charantais and fastbreak melons, sugar baby watermelon, cucumbers, and another batch of cilantro. All but the cilantro have sprouted and have been moved under the lights. I will post more garden updates this weekend.

8 comments:

  1. those seedlings look awesome! I hope I can get it down better next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew, thanks for reminding me to sow some more basil. That was the one thing that didn't survive the recent cold spell! Your seedlings are looking so healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks great! Can't wait to see it all planted out. I have a feeling you are going to have a great harvest this year.... and don't you just love starting your own seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tomatoes really are coming along! My peppers finally took off about a week ago. Goodness they were slow starters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool. When do you get to plant out?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shawn Ann: Thanks! For my first time, I think they are doing ok.

    Granny: I found that Basil is so sensitive to cold temperatures. I lost two batches of basil last year. This year, I grew extra and won’t plant them out until late this year. So hopefully…’

    Liisa: Thanks! Yes, I enjoyed taking care of the seedlings this year. I hope they produce well.

    KitsapFG: Most of the peppers took forever to germinate. I even gave up on some I was trying to germinate using the containter/paper towel method and later discovered sprouting! I don’t know how many seedlings I will end up with.

    Ribbit: I am using May 20th as my last frost date and will probably plant out by Memorial Day. I was going to wait until the first week of June, but we are having such a warm spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your basil looks so good. I think I'll have to sow another batch...maybe I'll get it right this time.

    Thanks for reminding me about the cilantro...I should sow some more for a steady harvest as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm reseeding basil today -- thanks for the nudge. The tomatoes really do a big jump when it's time, don't they?

    ReplyDelete