The tomato seedlings had their first taste of real sun this weekend as I began the hardening off process. They were placed in an area sheltered by the wind and under a patio umbrella for their first hours. I am going to try to take my time hardening them off. My plan is to plant them out around Memorial weekend if the weather is warm enough. If not, I will wait a week.
I seem to have two batches, the healthy batch:
And the not so healthy batch:
I can already see the mistakes I made with my first tomato seedlings. I took too long to move some of them up to larger pots and these suffered as a results. Also, I think I was too stingy with the fertilizer in the beginning. They were potted up using an organic potting mix with fertilizer. Within a week I noticed the new growth was a much deeper, healthier green than the old growth. I’ll know better next year.
Only the healthiest plants will be planted in the garden which doesn’t seem to be a problem since I seem to have more seedlings than the original plan. I was impatient with the germination, so I kept starting a few more, then seeds that I gave up on ended up sprouting. I suppose too many is better than too few. However, I am running out of room under the lights.
I took the opportunity to adjust my shelving and lights again while the tomatoes were outside. Some of the tomato plants had reached the lights which were positioned as high as they could be. I had to disassemble the shelving, remove the bottom shelf and increase the spacing between the bottom and the middle shelf to hang the lights. Hopefully this will be enough room for them for a few more weeks. I am hoping the weather cooperates so the seedlings can spend more time outside than under the lights.
I was planning on assembling some Self Watering Containers today, but the wind is making it impossible to work outside. I had to run across the yard several times chasing down totes and yogurt cups that were blowing around. Maybe tomorrow will be better.