Sunday, June 20, 2010

Hard Drive Failure


Twenty years of graphic design experience has instilled in me to always backup my computer files. I have learned the hard way that hardware sometimes fails and files can suddenly become corrupt for no apparent reason. However, deadlines still need to be met in spite of all these problems. 

I have learned to take precautions. I double back up my MacPro at work. I back up my work G5 at home. Why is it I didn't even think to backup my personal MacBook? 

Complete hard drive failure zapped my personal photos, recipes, garden notes, diagrams, and other data into oblivion. What hurts the most is all the garden photos from over the last year. Luckily, this blog holds some of them.

So I begin again. New hard drive, fresh install of the OS and software, and a dedicated backup external drive just for my personal stuff. Live and learn.

9 comments:

  1. That's so unfortunate....I reformat my stuff every 6 months, and burn all pictures to disk every time. It would bum me out to lose everything...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks. I lost my hard drive in December. I was lucky, I had most of my pictures backed up and the rest still stored in my camera. I lost a bunch of email stuff but nothing that important. I had a moment of panic the other day when I thought I had lost all my pictures from my last trip home to Vermont and my high school reunion but I found them misfiled on a flash drive. Whew!!

    Sorry about everything you lost. It's a good reminder to all of us to back stuff up. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no! I had this experience once many years ago, and you have my heartfelt sympathy. (I think I need to go back up my photo files.) -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yuck! It's a lesson to us all, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coincidentally, my personal laptop bit the dust last week...along with all of my photos, gardening files and recipes. I'm just glad that Marc have all of our family photos on his computer as well and all of my blog photos are kept on flickr.

    I've learned my lesson as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all for your sympathy. It was pretty much a “duh” moment as I should know better. I’ll be backing up my files from now on. I am glad this post reminded some of you to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still do not back up my files as regularly as I should. I know better too. I have been there and done that ... and it is no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband is an architect. Any type of CAD program seems to be hard on the computer. For that reason , we only have his CAD program on one of the computers. We have learned the hard way...I just copied all of my photos and files the other day. It takes a lot of time to do though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no ! Losing personal photos is, imho, the worst. Those are irreplaceable. Luckily a few remain on your blog, as you say. I backup my files pretty regularly (especially photos). They get copied to an external hard drive but I also rely on free storage like hotmail and google provide. The size is decent and I can access my files anytime.

    ReplyDelete