Monday, June 14, 2010

Harvest Mondays: Garlic Scapes, Lettuce Mix and Other Salad Clippings

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting from their gardens in different areas.




We have been enjoying daily salads from lettuce and spinach for a while now, but as the season progresses we can add in additional ingredients as they become available. This week we added some green onions, swiss chard, and celery:



I can already tell that I need to plant more green onions as I am finding I really enjoy their fresh mild flavor and like to add them to a lot of things. I am reseeding the spots where I pull an onion and hope to have a continuous supply. I have also started a batch of green onion seeds for late summer/fall planting. It’s hard to believe, but it is now time to start thinking about fall plantings.

A huge bonus to growing hard necked garlic are the scapes that form this time of year:



This is the largest harvest of garlic scapes that I have ever had. These weighed in at 1 pound, 4 ounces and will be put to good use in pesto, chopped into salads, and any leftovers dried in the dehydrator and jarred up to be used as a spice.

Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

12 comments:

  1. That is one beautiful basket of scapes! I have never heard of drying scapes for spice. I will have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful scapes! I love them blanched and chilled, then tossed in a vinaigrette for a salad on a warm day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have to try the garlic scapes. Everyone is harvesting them and they all look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! Just look at that beautiful lettuce!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks or reminding me...I need to sow some green onions as well.

    I did think to dehydrate the garlic scapes...maybe I'll give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... that looks like a LOT of scapes! The lettuce looks oh so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone is harvesting scapes! I should really try them this year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great harvest! I just came to your blog for the first time and read your profile; my hubby and I am in a similar boat. Our property, when we bought it, had a neglected 120 tree orchard [apple, pear and quince] as well as grape vines. We too are learning as we go with it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a lovely mess of scapes! Yum!

    I got a fair amount myself this year from our elephant garlic but read about the garlic scape pesto too late to put that good idea to work. Next year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow over a pound of scapes is a huge harvest. With that many I'd actually eat them as a vegetable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Robin: I never heard of drying scapes before either. I came across this while I was searching for garlic scape recipies: How to Use Garlic Scapes and Shoots in Recipes

    Christina: Ooooohhh, that sounds lovely as well.

    Johanna: I love garlic and garlic scapes have such a fresh light garlic flavor that it is easy to incorporate them into various recipes.

    Lisa and Robb: Dried scapes more like chives. Here is the link that shows how: How to Use Garlic Scapes and Shoots in Recipes

    EG: The lettuce has been absolutely delicious this year. Some if it has begun to show signs of bolting, so I’ll need to harvest it soon and replant with some more heat tolerant varieties.

    Dan: If you like garlic, you will like garlic scapes.

    Allison at Novice Life: Thank you for visiting and your comment! My orchard is much smaller than yours….only seven apple trees and one pear tree. I still need to learn how to prune properly and we haven’t been able to develop a spray schedule, so sadly most of the fruit will not suitable for eating again this year. There is always next year, right?

    Laura: I am sure you put your garlic scapes to good use.

    Daphne: It was tough looking over the plethora of garlic scape recipes and making a decision on how to use them.

    ReplyDelete