Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Vegetables Planted in the Traditional Garden

Yesterday I posted an overview of vegetables planted in the square foot gardens. Below is an overview of plants in the traditional in-ground garden.

The photo below is the west side of the garden looking north. The solar mulch is used to help warm the soil and keep the weeds down:



At the very top on the outside edge of the garden are 4 Self Watering Containers (SWC) with 2 Roma Tomatoes each:



Right in front of the SWC planted in the ground are 4 Early Girl Tomatoes:



The next row are the Sugar Baby Watermelons:




Fast Break Melons are in the next row:




The bottom row are the Charantais Melons:




Below is a picture of the east side of the garden looking north:



The bean trellises are at the north end of the garden:



The back trellis has a double row of Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans. They were seeded last week and I swear they sprouted and unfurled before my very eyes:





The second trellis has a double row of Purple Trionfo Violetto Pole Beans that have also begun to sprout and unfurl their leaves:



In front of the bean trellises are a row of 4 Early Girl Tomatoes:



3 of the Early Girl Tomato plants had formed buds just before planting. I pinched most of these off as I want the plants to focus on root development not fruit development right now. But I left he buds on one plant and they bloomed the day after planting in the garden:



In front of the Early Girl Tomatoes are 2 rows of Kennebec Potatoes:



Then 3 rows of Dark Red Norland Potatoes:



The potatoes look like they are ready for another hilling:



I am out of garden soil, so I may raid the compost bin of shredded leaves from last fall to do one more hilling.

The wind has been whipping for the past several days, some of the tomato and melon leaves are showing signs of some light damage. I think they will be ok, but I can't help but worry about them. It rained yesterday as predicted and I could tell that the garden benefited greatly.

9 comments:

  1. While everything looks good - the tomatoes and melons in particular look very happy and healthy. Your garden will be a lush oasis of good eating in just a short period of time. I can tell you have been enjoying some warm and dry weather by how happy the melons and tomatoes look. I am sure the rain was also appreciated but the heat lovers really thrive on sunny and dry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ran out of soil, too! I'd noticed the dollar store that was going out of business was selling potting soil for 90-cents a bag, so I bought a couple of those and did my final hilling. I really went through the bagged compost this year, with all my tomatoes in buckets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is really coming along. Everything looks happy and healthy. Your beans and melons are much bigger then mine. I just planted my bean seeds in the garden three days ago.

    My mother always hilled her potatoes on the farm. I have always straw mulched mine. It is a lot easier and you don't run out of dirt.

    Thanks for sharing your pesto recipe. We had company on Monday evening and my husband made it. It was a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. KitsapFG: I am amazed at the healthy quality of my seedlings. In the past, I purchased my transplants. This is the first year I have grown from seed and can’t believe the difference. In addition, we have had extremely warm temperatures in May. I hope this all helps the seedlings get off to a good start.

    Granny: Good deal on the potting soil. I would have stocked up as well. Whatever I end up using to finish hilling the potatoes will only help add to the soil. So hopefully the shredded leaves from the compost bin will be enough.

    Robin: I was surprised how quickly the beans sprouted in the warm weather we experienced last week. I am sure yours won’t take long to catch up. Straw seems like the perfect thing to use for the potatoes. I may need to find out a place I can purchase straw some not only the potatoes, but other areas in the garden as well. I am thrilled that you liked the Spinach and Garlic Chive Pesto recipe. I am craving another batch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you will be up to your eye balls in potatoes this year.

    Unlike yours, my beans are taking their sweet old time.

    Also, I've never grown charantais melons before. They seem to be really slow growing. Is this normal?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thomas: I hope to have lots of potatoes to store. I've never grown them before, so I am curious to see how many pounds they yield. This is my first time growing Charantais Melons as well. Mine are growing slower than the other melons too. Hopefully they will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have alot happening! The charantais melons are the best, you will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden is progressing very nicely. Thanks a lot for the tour, both in this and the previous posts. I enjoy so much those virtual visits to such rich and inspiring gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love watching the beans unfurl in the garden. They are so dramatic since they are so big.

    ReplyDelete