Monday, July 19, 2010

Harvest Monday: July 19, 2010

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting from his or her gardens in different areas.

This was an exciting week in the garden spot as more variety of fruits and vegetables were harvested. The warm weather has continued and with some supplemental watering, the growth has been abundant.

We will begin with a few pickling cukes and small carrots:



I pulled a couple carrots to see how they were growing. I believe these are Little Finger Carrots. They were about 4-inches long and skinny but tasted great. Hopefully they will fatten up soon.

A large bunch of cucumbers were harvested on Thursday:



I left some small cucumbers on the vine and by the following day they were also ready for picking:



The harvest of cucumbers from the two days amounted to about 6 lbs of cucumbers. I weighed them because I wanted to use them for “Granny's Favorite Bread & Butter Pickles.”

Some of the last of the Swiss Chard that was planted in the spring. There will be more planted for fall:



More young Dark Red Norland Potatoes. We are really enjoying these:



The Blueberries are beginning to ripen up. We are now harvesting a small bowl full each day:




Celery and more Cucumbers:



The first Zucchini and some small Red Onions:



The first Raspberry from the new Heritage Raspberries planted this spring:



Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

13 comments:

  1. Ahh .. nothing like blueberries from the garden. this is the first year for my bushes so not much coming off the plants. Next year will be better. Nice harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks beautful, but the cucumbers, blueberries, and raspberries definitely stand out from the crowd! We are getting just a handful of raspberries and strawberries so far this season - just enough to pop into your mouth while working in the garden. Our protracted cool/wet spring/summer and the army of slugs that it produced has resulted in a dismal June/July berry harvest. However, the blueberries are looking promising and both the raspberries and the strawberries produce a second harvest later in the summer so all is not lost. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Potatoes look fantastic! I'm eagerly awaiting the chance to harvest some of our cranberry reds & yukon golds, which should be the first 2 ready to harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have blueberry, raspberry & potato envy :) We don't have the room for raspberries here and some critter ate my blueberry bushes down to stups last year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *drool* Oh, just look at those beautiful blueberries and what a wonderful lot of cukes ! (Mine have yet to produce)

    Great harvest !

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you haven't made those pickles yet, I'd cut the sugar down to 3 cups. Although they were delicious at first, they were really too sweet after sitting a few weeks. I changed the amount in the post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice harvest! Those cucumbers look picture-perfect, and will make excellent pickles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! Those blueberries look fat and pretty! So does the raspberry! Everything looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look beautiful. I can't wait to do a little pickling myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you have a great harvest here! Those cukes sure grow fast, don't they? Congrats on your first zucchini! I got my first one last week, but am not sure if there will be more, as the plants seem to be dying from an aggressive case of powdery mildew.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cucumbers look great. My youngest son wants our cucumbers to produce so that he can have pickles!! Yeah for the 1st zucchini! I have plenty of male blossoms but NO female blossoms. I keep waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your harvest is looking good! I just made pickles today, and they were yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marcia: This is my first year for the Heritage Raspberries, so I too don’t expect a large amount until next year.

    KitsapFG: Gosh, your rainy summer reminds me so much of what we experienced in here in the Northeast last year. Most of our berries either rotted on the vine or were eaten by slugs.

    Fred: The potatoes are wonderful! I can’t believe I never tried growing them before.

    Robin: Oh no! So sorry about your blueberries. Are they showing signs of growing back?

    Miss M: I think I over did it on planting cukes this year. I will be giving some away to my co-workers. I usually direct seed, but I grew seedlings and transplanted this year.

    Granny: Thanks! I will change the recipe I have on file. I haven’t made them yet. I only made one jar last year and it didn’t last long so maybe it didn’t have time to sweeten up.

    EG: Funny thing is, I don’t even like pickles ☺

    Shawn Ann: Blueberries are delicious. I don’t think I will get many raspberries from the new canes planted this year, but the first one was so good.

    Stfaneener: Thanks!

    Thyme2garden: I planted my zucchini plants in a large pot this year, but it really isn’t happy and may not produce much. I have started some seeds and will be transplanting another batch to the garden. My zucchini always get powdery mildew, so I usually plant a second round and pull the first plants if they stop producing.

    Debiclegg: It’s funny how we wait for the first zucchini to finally arrive when in a week or two I’ll be saying “enough already!”

    Meemsnyc: Thanks! I haven’t made my pickles yet. Hopefully this weekend.

    ReplyDelete