Monday, July 12, 2010

Harvest Monday: July 12, 2010

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting from his or her gardens in different areas.

This is actually a common harvest this week. Celery, Swiss Chard, and a young Onion to add to the lettuce in the fridge from an earlier harvest to make a salad for dinner:


Cucumber and Potato harvest on Saturday:



Cucumbers were supposed to be used for a small batch of pickles, but we ended up eating most of them freshly sliced up with a little bit of salt. There will be many more to come in the next few weeks.

The Dark Red Norland Potatoes weighed in at 2 pounds. They were destined for potato salad. So Celery, young Red Onion, Dill, Parsley were also harvested for the potato salad:



4.5 oz of Basil was harvested on Friday:



Fresh basil topping was used for pizza and the rest was used to make pesto, which we enjoyed with chicken and linguine over the weekend. The rest of the pesto was frozen for later use.

A surprise small harvest of Raspberries:



I was walking into the shed to grab the weed trimmer when I spotted a flash of red. We have both raspberries and blackberries growing among the weeds behind the shed. These raspberries were near the doorway and were easy to pick. There is just enough for K to add to his breakfast cereal tomorrow morning.

Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

12 comments:

  1. I love fresh cucumbers so much more than pickled ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cucumbers look just about perfect. I am anxiously awaiting my plants to get mature enough to start producing some for us. I don't think it will be all that much longer - noticed some small fruit/blooms on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice harvest; sure wish i had some of those potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice harvest! I'm looking forward to pulling some potatoes up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like the red potatoes for salad, but ours aren't quite ready yet. It's great that you had the ingredients for yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I saw the cukes and potatoes I couldn't help but think potato salad with pickles made from the cukes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the color of those potatoes and the cucumbers, well, everything else looks great also. I'm still waiting for cucumbers, got them in late this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you've got the perfect combination for a potato salad! I just love being able to run out to the garden and get the stuff I need. Great harvest!
    ~~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  9. Harvest looks great! I'm still waiting for my cucumbers - they are about half-pinkie sized right now - and looking at your harvest makes me very impatient for mine soon. Those surprise raspberries are awesome, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vrtlarica: I also prefer cucumbers fresh, not pickled. K likes pickles, so I want to make him some.

    kitsapFG: Once the cukes get started, it is difficult to keep up. It is amazing how quickly they go from little cukes to ready to harvest cukes. You are so close.

    Allison: It’s my first time growing potatoes! I am thrilled!

    Tosha: We have some cucumber beetles too, but so far not enough to cause much damage.

    Fred: I couldn’t wait. I had to gently raid the potatoes to see what was there.

    Villager: I just began robbing my potatoes. I couldn’t wait for our first potato salad.

    Daphne: Yup, potato salad and pickles. Sounds like summer.

    Michelle: I love the contrasting colors between the red and green veggies too. This was the first substantial cucumber harvest. I grew many more plants than I have in the past.

    Dirt Lover: I loved having most of the ingredients for potato salad right there in my garden. I also love walking into a grocery store produce section and realize that I don’t need anything there.

    Thyme2Garden: Sounds like your cucumber will be ready really soon. The raspberries were from some wild canes behind the shed. I planted some Heritage raspberries that are getting established that should produce even more next year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. congratulations on such a wonderful and bountiful harvest! don't you love the wild raspberries? total treats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We picked some cucumber also. We went to pickle them, but we only have 4, so not sure if that is enough.

    ReplyDelete