Monday, July 5, 2010

Harvest Monday: July 5, 2010

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting from his or her gardens in different areas.

It was nice to harvest some new items this week along with some young onions and some celery clippings.

The most exciting harvest is the Dark Red Norland Potatoes that I dug out earlier this weekend:



Once the Carouby de Maussane Snow Peas began producing, they really put out a substantial amount of pods. Unfortunately my poor planning resulted in the need to cut the lifespan of these plants short.  I was still lucky to harvest enough pea pods to freeze. These pods will be added to many stir-frys to come:




The first cucumber was picked just this morning. This is a National Pickling cucumber:



This one won’t be used for pickles though. In fact, it will be lucky to survive long enough to be added to a salad today. I love to snack on fresh cucumbers.


The lettuce shown last week is holding up wonderfully in the refrigerator. We will probably be able consume one more large bowl of salad from it before it starts browning. Just goes to show you how fresh supermarket lettuce really is since it usually only lasts a few days in the refrigerator.

Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

11 comments:

  1. Great harvest this week! That cucumber looks delicious and isn't it wonderful to have fresh potatoes? I did two potato digs this past week and am thrilled to have them back on the menu again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am drooling over your potatoes :) It doesn't look like my potato experiment is going to yield much this year :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice harvest, beautiful potatoes.
    Curiosity got the better of me too, I dumped out an entire container of potatoes that were grown from store bought spuds, don't know the variety, but they were good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our first cucumber didn't last long either! Those are some nice looking potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful potatoes! I can't wait to dig for some more this week.

    That's a very interesting looking cucumber. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful potatoes! I really like fresh cucumbers, too! My cukes got planted way, way too late. They are only a few inches tall! Thanks for the peek into your garden.
    ~~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking peas and you have enough to freeze. Are you blanching them before freezing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ate up my first cucumber. Yummy. So sweet and delicious. I'm shocked my peas are still going too with all the hot weather. It is so sad to have to pull them out right now. I might have to do that to mine this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your peas look great! I know what you mean about supermarket lettuce. Since I learned to grow my own lettuce, I really hate to buy lettuce. But since all my lettuce has bolted with the first heatwave, I'm torn between not having any lettuce and giving in to buy some grocery store lettuce! Sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. KitsapFG: It is exciting to be able to add different things to the weekly harvest as the season progresses. The potatoes were wonderful! The cucumber was a little bitter. I hope the rest will be better.

    Robin: This is my first time growing potatoes. I hope the rest of the potatoes you still have growing have a great yield for you.

    Mac: I saw the photo on your blog of your potato harvest. They looked beautiful and I bet tasted good too.

    Villager: Thankfully there are more cucumbers to come as the first was a bit bitter.

    Thomas: It’s my first time growing National Pickling Cucumbers. The black spines are quite unusual.

    Allison: Thanks!

    Dirt Lover: I hope your cucumbers catch up quickly.

    Vrtlarica: Yes, I blanched the peas briefly then popped them into zipper freezer bags.

    Daphne: The first cucumber wasn’t very good, but I am sure the others will be better. My peas were still going strong in this heat. I would have loved to see how long they could have produced.

    Thyme2garden: Most of my lettuce is gone as well. I am going to try a few “bolt resistant” varieties to hold me over until fall lettuce.

    ReplyDelete