Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Sweltering Heat


It has been HOT here in New England the past several days. 90 degrees to us is pretty warm. Yesterday kicked up the humidity quite a bit making it even difficult to breath. After work I rushed to the garden and filled the Self Watering Containers (SWC), watered the pots and attached the hoses to the soaker hoses for a deep watering. I only have one outside faucet with an attachment that separates into two outlets. So watering had to be accomplished in shifts.



First I filled two 5-gallon buckets with water, then I attached two hoses to the soaker hoses. While the soaker hoses were working, I scooped out pitchers of water to water the square foot gardens by hand.



While I was in the garden, I harvested a young onion, some celery, swiss chard and a garlic scape to add to the lettuce stored in the fridge. Some grilled chicken and a sprinkle of cheese and we had dinner:



After dinner I was able to take a closer look at how things are progressing. The garden is enjoying the heat and growing my leaps and bounds. Here are a few highlights.

It looks like we will have enough cucumbers for our first batch of pickles by this weekend:



All the tomatoes have now set fruit. The Bush Boy Tomatoes were the last, but I spotted a few little fruit today. The Early Girl Tomatoes have put on a lot of growth over the last week. They are sure living up to their reputation:



This is the first Anaheim Pepper:



Most impressive is the growth in the melon patch in only a few short days:




The above is a Fastbreak Melon. I expect this guy to be the first melon ready for harvest maybe by the end of the month. Warm temperatures will be staying for a while. So watering will become more routine in the days to come.

9 comments:

  1. I do things in shifts also, one part of the garden at a time. It's brutal, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your melon patch looks great!. I'm going to try melons at the Haven garden next year. Haven gets sun all day and it gets hot back there. Just right for melons!

    Question: So how does it feel now that the season is in full swing to have started your own seeds and watch them grow? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, things are looking great! I'm envious of youe melon patch, and wish that I had a spot like that to let vines sprawl everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isnt' it amazing what some sunshine, heat, and water will do for a garden?! I love the easy summer dinners of fresh produce, a little lean meat, and you have either a salad or a stir fry with just a little dressing or sauce added to it! I am totally jealous of the cucumber by the way. My cukes are growing nicely but no where near producing fruit for me yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darn Blogger...it just made my comment disappear. I was saying how I can't believe that you have a melon that size already. I'll have to try them next year as my heirlooms are only just beginning to form female flowers right now. Did you hand pollinate yours?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been known to attach two Ys to the Y on the faucet, so I can run 4 hoses!

    I'm wishing I'd grown some melons this year. Yours are looking great, as is everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ribbit: I really didn’t want to be outside in the heat and humidity. Our temperatures are in the 80s now and never felt to good. It’s still hot, but not as hot.

    Liisa: It sounds like the Haven garden is just perfect for growing melons. I am so glad that I tried growing from seed this year. All my plants are thriving and growing so well. It is very rewarding.

    EG: Although it is nice to allow the melons to sprawl over a large area. I am envious of your melons growing on your trellis. I bet they are much easier to see and care for.

    KitsapFG: I grew up with a family that gardened and have been gardening myself for the last seven years. I am still in amazed that I can grow food. Cukes are going to be plentiful soon. I know I over did it on the cukes, but the seeds all germinated for me and I couldn’t kill the healthy seedlings……..so I ended up with many more plants than I planned on.

    Thomas: Blogger HAS been acting up lately. I hope they have the problems ironed out soon. The picture above is a Fastbreak melon. I also have much smaller fruit growing on my Charantais melon but not as many as the Fastbreak. I did hand pollinate the first few female flowers, but then I saw many bees doing the job and I left them alone. Last year, I hand pollinated a lot of my melons because the bees are not so numerous when it rains.

    Granny: I told K what you said about attaching the two Ys to the Y faucet and he just laughed because he knows I would have done that if we had two more hoses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seem everyone is sweltering and looks like friday's cool down won't last long. All your warm season crops are really flourishing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, the melons make the heat wave all worth while, I hope. I was looking at melons out here (I'm visiting the southeast) and thinking how we just can't really grow them at home!

    ReplyDelete