Monday, August 2, 2010

Harvest Monday: August 2, 2010

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting from his or her gardens in different areas.

I am a little late with posting my Harvest Monday post. It was a very busy weekend here at the garden spot. The weather was so beautiful with much less humidity than we have been experiencing. It was so much easier to work outside in the yard and garden without the oppressive heat. I was so motivated.

We ran out of tomato sauce, which is a staple in this household. So I needed to make a batch to tide us over until the garden tomatoes are ready. Everything that went into the sauce was from the garden except for the tomatoes, which came from cans. Good quality canned tomatoes, but canned nonetheless. I was thrilled to use my own grown garlic, onions, basil, parsley, thyme, and oregano in the sauce.  I can’t wait to use my own grown tomatoes.

I also took advantage of the cooler weather and canned up some Kosher Dill Pickles and some Salsa. In addition, the garden paths were weed whacked and gardens weeded. The plants were pruned, fertilized, and watered.

I am so thrilled to have tomatoes coming in fast and furious this year. The ones pictured below are Early Girl, but the paste tomatoes also began ripening this week as well. I will have some to show for next week’s Harvest Monday:


This week I also harvested a few of the first Nante carrots from the Square Foot Garden. These are shown below with some celery thinnings. The celery growing in the SWC was looking a bit ratty, so I took some scissors and cleaned it up and thinned it out. Some of these trimmings went into salads, but most were chopped and frozen for later use in soups this fall and winter:


More cucumbers were harvested:




I gave away some cucumbers and will probably be giving away much more in the future. I’ve made one batch of Bread & Butter Pickles and this weekend canned up 12 pints of Kosher Dill Pickle spears. We now have more pickles than we could ever consume. If they taste good, most jars will be probably given away as well. Here is the Dill harvest that was used for the Kosher Dill Pickle recipe:


I also harvested another batch of basil that was turned into pesto and frozen for later use:


The first Fast Break Melon was harvested on Friday. I don’t expect much from the first melon. It has usually struggled to grow and is pollinated early when the temperatures are quite cool and the plant is still trying to establish itself. This one was small, a bit deformed, and only about 4-inches across. It had already slipped from the vine when I found it. I ate this first melon for breakfast this morning, it was delicious:


A few more Fast Break Melons ripened over the weekend:


More Dark Red Norland Potatoes were harvested:


Blueberries, a few raspberries, and blackberries:



The first Kentucky Wonder Pole beans:


These were snacked on right after the photo. I usually grow bush beans for an earlier harvest, but decided against them this year as we had too many beans last year. Kentucky Wonder and Purple Trionfo Pole Beans were planted and they have just begun to form beans. Soon I will be harvesting beans every day. I can’t wait.

Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

20 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of you cucumber harvest! We had a lot at first but now the plants are slowing down. I think that powdery mildew has gotten to the lives. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my first melon this week too, and it too was small. It didn't have a ton of flavor. So I hope the other ones grow more and have better flavor. Yours look really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have just about everything a gardener could want. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an eye popping harvest this week! Holy Moly! What a great surprise to have that first melon be so delicious when you were half expecting it not to be. The display of early girl tomatoes is really eye catching too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great harvest! I am going to have to check out the details on those Fast Break melons. I have managed to kill off 2 plantings of melons this season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your melons look great! I think it's going to be a couple of weeks before mine are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  7. NIce harvest and all look beautiful. Love the berries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh gosh, you harvested alot this week! I bet those melons were yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, totally jealous of your melons ! They're lovely ! Fantastic harvest all around !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your harvest definitely puts mine to shame, but it certainly gives me inspiration that I can do better in my zone 5b! Your tomatoes just shine so beautifully in the sun, and the rest of your harvest, wow, like Dan said, you pretty much have everything a gardener could want in the middle of the summer, including a nice melon and berry harvest, too.

    We also enjoyed slightly cooler weather in Indianapolis last weekend, which motivated me to do a lot of weeding and general garden tidying up while Keith mowed the lawn. I was sore for two days afterward from all the bending over and pulling out action. But now the garden looks much nicer. Looking forward to seeing your paste tomatoes at next week's harvest monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love everything, but especially the cucumbers. I'm a container gardener, and I sorta messed up my try at cucumbers. They had to climb out of the pot to find sun and now they're at the end of their trellis. I've counted two baby cucumbers, but really, the vines have no place to go.

    Happy gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to laugh at the cucumbers. Our cukes are going like gangbusters too. My neighbor was trying to give me his extra cukes but I wouldn't take them as I have too many. So when the delivery guys came to deliver our new mattress, he gave them away to them. It is a good year for cukes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Once upon a time I used to harvest tons of cucumbers. I finally learned my lesson and only put in a few plants and now I'm waiting, waiting, waiting.... Next year I have to plant them earlier! You've really got a nice variety of veggies and fruit coming in, fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Meemsnyc: I hope your cucumbers produce more before the powdery mildew takes over. I usually get it at the end of the season as well. In fact, I think I spotted some on the vines this afternoon.

    Shawn Ann: I bet your next melon will have more flavor. Depending on the weather, the first ones are usually so so.

    Crystable: Thanks!

    Dan: Thanks! I guess a little harvest each day adds up.

    Laura: It does look pretty impressive all in one post, doesn’t it? Yes, I was so happy that the little melon was good. The second one was even sweeter though.

    Nartaya: I just did a post on the melons with more details on the varieties I am growing. The seeds for Fastbreak Melons were purchased from Pine Tree Seeds.

    Robin: Fastbreak mature quickly, I think I will have to wait for the other melons.

    Johanna: Thanks! The berries are adding up now, I may have enough to freeze.

    EG: Yes, it was a great week for harvesting. Still waiting on the peppers, eggplant and pole beans.

    Miss M: Thanks!

    Thyme2garden: I think you are doing wonderfully for your first year. I grew up with a family that gardened. I wish I had paid more attention to what my grandparents and great aunt were doing in the garden, but I just saw it as a playground and they tolerated me running through the rows. As an adult I am pretty much experimenting and learning as I go to see what works and what doesn’t. I am inspired and encouraged by our garden blog community as well.

    Martha: I find container gardening difficult. I tried for many years before I had a yard and just didn’t have much luck with it. As far as your cucumbers go, give them some time. They may fill out and begin to produce more. Also the vines can crawl right back down the trellis if they want to continue to grow.

    Daphne: I think cucumbers are my zucchini this year. I’ve brought extra into work and they are usually gone by lunch time.

    Michelle: I didn’t intend on growing so many cucumber plants. I started them as seedlings and each seed I planted grew. I didn’t have the heart to kill them so I planted some in the garden, then the rest were planted at the edge of the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Meemsnyc: I hope your cucumbers produce more before the powdery mildew takes over. I usually get it at the end of the season as well. In fact, I think I spotted some on the vines this afternoon.

    Shawn Ann: I bet your next melon will have more flavor. Depending on the weather, the first ones are usually so so.

    Crystable: Thanks!

    Dan: Thanks! I guess a little harvest each day adds up.

    Laura: It does look pretty impressive all in one post, doesn’t it? Yes, I was so happy that the little melon was good. The second one was even sweeter though.

    Nartaya: I just did a post on the melons with more details on the varieties I am growing. The seeds for Fastbreak Melons were purchased from Pine Tree Seeds.

    Robin: Fastbreak mature quickly, I think I will have to wait for the other melons.

    Johanna: Thanks! The berries are adding up now, I may have enough to freeze.

    EG: Yes, it was a great week for harvesting. Still waiting on the peppers, eggplant and pole beans.

    Miss M: Thanks!

    Thyme2garden: I think you are doing wonderfully for your first year. I grew up with a family that gardened. I wish I had paid more attention to what my grandparents and great aunt were doing in the garden, but I just saw it as a playground and they tolerated me running through the rows. As an adult I am pretty much experimenting and learning as I go to see what works and what doesn’t. I am inspired and encouraged by our garden blog community as well.

    Martha: I find container gardening difficult. I tried for many years before I had a yard and just didn’t have much luck with it. As far as your cucumbers go, give them some time. They may fill out and begin to produce more. Also the vines can crawl right back down the trellis if they want to continue to grow.

    Daphne: I think cucumbers are my zucchini this year. I’ve brought extra into work and they are usually gone by lunch time.

    Michelle: I didn’t intend on growing so many cucumber plants. I started them as seedlings and each seed I planted grew. I didn’t have the heart to kill them so I planted some in the garden, then the rest were planted at the edge of the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Meemsnyc: I hope your cucumbers produce more before the powdery mildew takes over. I usually get it at the end of the season as well. In fact, I think I spotted some on the vines this afternoon.

    Shawn Ann: I bet your next melon will have more flavor. Depending on the weather, the first ones are usually so so.

    Crystable: Thanks!

    Dan: Thanks! I guess a little harvest each day adds up.

    Laura: It does look pretty impressive all in one post, doesn’t it? Yes, I was so happy that the little melon was good. The second one was even sweeter though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nartaya: I just did a post on the melons with more details on the varieties I am growing. The seeds for Fastbreak Melons were purchased from Pine Tree Seeds.

    Robin: Fastbreak mature quickly, I think I will have to wait for the other melons.

    Johanna: Thanks! The berries are adding up now, I may have enough to freeze.

    EG: Yes, it was a great week for harvesting. Still waiting on the peppers, eggplant and pole beans.

    Miss M: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thyme2garden: I think you are doing wonderfully for your first year. I grew up with a family that gardened. I wish I had paid more attention to what my grandparents and great aunt were doing in the garden, but I just saw it as a playground and they tolerated me running through the rows. As an adult I am pretty much experimenting and learning as I go to see what works and what doesn’t. I am inspired and encouraged by our garden blog community as well.

    Martha: I find container gardening difficult. I tried for many years before I had a yard and just didn’t have much luck with it. As far as your cucumbers go, give them some time. They may fill out and begin to produce more. Also the vines can crawl right back down the trellis if they want to continue to grow.

    Daphne: I think cucumbers are my zucchini this year. I’ve brought extra into work and they are usually gone by lunch time.

    Michelle: I didn’t intend on growing so many cucumber plants. I started them as seedlings and each seed I planted grew. I didn’t have the heart to kill them so I planted some in the garden, then the rest were planted at the edge of the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your veggies look AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe you have a ripe melon already! I'm still anxiously waiting for the Charantais.

    ReplyDelete