Monday, August 30, 2010

Harvest Monday: August 30, 2010

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting from his or her gardens in different areas. Here is an overview of what was harvested in the garden spot this week.


The tomatoes continue to pour in and I am thankful for each and every one. I’ve been busy making and freezing sauce so we can enjoy the harvest long into the winter months:


The pole beans are producing abundantly. The Japanese beetles are gone, leaving behind lacey leaves on the Kentucky Wonder pole beans, but the Purple Trionfo pole bean leaves are almost untouched. The Purple Trionfo pole beans are also more productive. A proven winner in the garden spot this year:


The Japanese eggplant have begun to fruit and I was able to harvest enough for a meal. Although, the most productive plant is a surprise:



The fruit is supposed to be purple, but one plant is producing all white eggplant. They came from the same seed package and the size and flavor of the fruit is the same as the purple.

The peppers seem to be lagging behind this year. I may have to start the seedlings earlier next year. The plants are now filled with small fruit, but they may run out of summer before they fully develop. I did have enough Bell, Anaheim, Jalapeno, and Cayenne peppers for a batch of salsa this weekend:


The melon patch has mostly died back. Most of the melons have been harvested, only a few Sugar Baby Watermelons remain in the garden. Finally, the first Sugar Baby Watermelon was ready for harvest:


We sliced into it and found the flavor to be very good. It was so worth the wait. There are five more Sugar Baby Watermelons in the garden that I expect to be ready soon:


The mid-summer planting of zucchini has begun producing:


I know the calendar says Fall is coming soon, but it doesn't feel like it yet. We are going to have another spurt of 90-degree weather over the next week. Some of the tomato plants are beginning to show signs of stress and disease. However, the San Marazano’s in the Square Foot Gardens are green, healthy, and full of heavy fruit. They responded to the rain we had last Wednesday by putting on another few inches of growth. I had to tie them up so they wouldn’t crowd the fall lettuce and spinach.

Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

16 comments:

  1. I sure do like the look of those purple beans. I wonder if they'd grow well here? I'm very impressed with your harvests each week, and they always look so much better than mine..heh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting about the white eggplant. I've had some surprises from seed packets too. What a beautiful basket of purple beans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, what a beautiful harvest. The melons look delicious. Strange how your one eggplant had white ones. Do they taste the same as the purple ones?

    ReplyDelete
  4. First time here from Daphne's Dandelions. Nice blog (and harvest!). The clam chowder (chowda) in one of the previous posts looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those purple beans are beautiful! I hope that they taste as good as they look. The watermelon too is very nice, I guess I must be into purple veggies today!

    I sometimes get white, purple and mixed colored eggplants all in one plant. I figure they have variable color...

    ReplyDelete
  6. EG: The Purple Trionfo Violetto pole beans have really impressed me. The vines are vigorous, the pods are numerous and easy to spot, and the flavor is slightly sweet. A really nice producer.

    Villager: The white eggplant was a surprise. Gardening is always full of surprises. Right now that particular plant is producing the most fruit.

    Meemsnyc: Yes, the white eggplants seemed to taste the same as the purple. It was strange.

    Foodgardenkitchen: Welcome and thank you for commenting. The chowder was delicious and quite easy to prepare.

    Angela: The Purple Trionfo Violetto pole beans have a nice mild flavor. I like munching on them when I am in the garden. I’ve never had multicolored eggplants before. Strange what happens sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadly my San Marzano's are dying. I think once the weather cools down I'll go out and pull it. So sad. The Cherokee Purple right next to it is green and mostly healthy. I wonder how long it will last though once the cooler weather comes in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what a great harvest week you had! Those tomatoes are beautiful and the watermelon looked perfect. Your garden has been really performing for you this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should have done a mid summer zucchini planting, must remember that for next year.
    What a gorgeous harvest. The purple beans are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the ripe Sugar Baby! It's nice to know that it CAN be done. I haven't been able to harvest a ripe one all summer. Any advice? I have one left in the garden. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have such a beautiful and prolific garden this year, it's so nice to see your harvests week after week. I love garden surprises, so thanks for sharing the mystery of the white eggplants! All from the same seed packet, no less! What Angela said about getting different colors of eggplants from one plant is just fascinating, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow - that is a lot of beans and tomatoes! I wish we could grow watermelon here. We can barely grow eggplants.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything looks so good. I think by the time my first zucchini planting was done producing, I was tired of them and didn't plant any more. But then I started finding more recipes I wanted to try, and ya, no zucchini! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The long white eggplant is very interesting. Are you going to try saving the seeds? I've read that eggplants rarely cross since the bees don't like the very bitter pollen. It would be interesting to see if it came true in the second generation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Daphne: Oh no! I am so sorry about your San Marzanos. Strange how one plant can be ok but the other is dying. We’ve been lucky with hot days and warm nights, once the temperatures return to normal I am sure the hot weather plants will suffer.

    Laura: This year has certainly made up for last year. I too am impressed with how well the garden is producing.

    Abigail: I didn’t have room for growing zucchini early in the season. I missed it so started some seedlings to plant in an area that mid-season potatoes were harvested from.

    Thomas: Yes, the first Sugar Baby was great! Sorry, I have no advice. I think I was just lucky on the first one. The second one…..not so much. Only half was ripe/editable. I am hoping I can better judge the remaining ones.

    Thyme2garden: I have only grown eggplant for a couple of years. Last year, I grew Ichiban. The white Japanese eggplant was certainly a surprise.

    Stevie: I bet there is a variety of watermelon you can grow. I am in zone 5, what zone are you in?

    Shawn Ann: I usually feel the same way as you do about zucchini. This year I didn’t plant any in the spring as I didn’t have the room, so the late planting is very welcomed.

    Michelle: I am very curious about the white eggplant and will try to save some seeds. I didn’t know that eggplants rarely cross, I wonder why this plant is growing all white fruit?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really love your cucumber trellis. Did you build this? I showed my husband, I'm hoping he can build one similar for our cukes next year.

    ReplyDelete