Saturday, August 14, 2010

Harvesting the Dark Red Norland Potatoes

Whew! It has been a busy week. I am looking forward to this weekend and spending some quality time in the garden. There is a lot of harvesting, cleanup, and fall crop planting that needs to be accomplished.

First on the list is harvesting the mid-season potatoes:


Two varieties of potatoes were planted on May 2, 2010 in the east garden, Dark Red Norland, a mid-season variety, and Kennebec, a late season variety.

5.5-pounds Dark Red Norland seed potatoes were planted in three rows that are 8-feet long. Almost 15-pounds of new potatoes were dug a few pounds at a time beginning July 4th as needed for consuming right away. Two rows were allowed to mature. It’s been about 2-weeks since the foliage has died and I stopped watering:


I also noticed the last time I dug some potatoes that the skins were much thicker and the red color no longer rubbed off easily. They were ready to be harvested.

I decided to dig them up early this morning while it was still cool and slightly overcast. I dug them by hand so I could avoid damaging them with a shovel or digging fork:


I filled my little garden cart. It's on wheels and can be easily moved around:


I followed Laura’s method for storing potatoes at The Modern Victory Garden website. I’ve been saving boxes and shredded paperwork a little at a time for this process:




I weighing the harvest in batches as I went along and saved out the small potatoes to use for seed next year:


 
Two paper boxes of Dark Red Norland Potatoes for storing and about 5-pounds of seed potatoes were boxed up in a smaller box. These will be stored in the coolest part of the basement. Some bite sized potatoes will be roasted up for dinner tonight:


The final tally for the Dark Red Norland Potatoes for the year is 46-pounds. I can't wait to see what the Kennebec Potatoes will amount to. So far I am very pleased with the result of my first year growing potatoes.

9 comments:

  1. ooooh, that is a great tip for storing potatoes!! Awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I can't believe how many you got. How many hills did you plant?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's terrific. Nice storage, too. I'll have to try that. My father in law is all about Kennebec.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's a mighty decent crop ! Love the storage idea !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great yield of lovely potatoes! Mine were rather small and scabby this year, I'm hoping next year's crop will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum; those potatoes look delicious. And this is certainly a perfect weekend for getting work done outside! -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a lot of potatoes and a really nice yield. I hope to grow a few next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful harvest! You got great yeilds for the amount planted and the potatoes look perfect. My experience is that the reds do not store as well as the russets or kennebecs so I try to use them up first as much as possible letting the later harvested and more longer storage potatoes serve for later use.

    ReplyDelete