Sunday, September 5, 2010

Early September Garden Overview: Part 2

This is a continuation to part 1 of the garden spot overview.

The celery grown in the Self Watering Containers (SWC) was a huge success. We had plenty for fresh eating and I have several bags in the freezer to add to soups and stuffing’s this winter. I thought the celery was finished and was going to pull it, but I noticed some new growth. So I trimmed out the old stalks and gave them a drink of fish emulsion to encourage it to produce again:


Zucchini and Yellow Summer Squash have always been a staple in the garden spot. However, when planning the spring garden I still had a supply in the freezer from last year. When room became a problem, I elected to delay growing Zucchini and Yellow Summer Squash. I tried to grow Zucchini in a pot, but it really wasn’t happy:


I planned on planting both squashes mid-season once space opened up in the potato patch. One row of mid-season potatoes was being harvested little by little as early potatoes. I started some summer squash seedlings and thought I could transplant the potted zucchini in this area.

Once moved from pot to ground, the zucchini responded really well to its new location and has increased in size and produced more fruit:



The mid-season Yellow Summer Squash has formed its first fruit that should be ready for harvest soon:



Lettuce seedlings were started in soil blocks then transplanted to the garden along with some Evergreen Bunching Onions:


Unfortunately the Simpson Elite Lettuce is bolting after our heat wave last week. Luckily there is still time to reseed:


Also soil block transplanted were Pak Choi and Michihili Cabbage. Hopefully they will make it in spite of the insect damage:




 Spinach has been transplanted into an area shaded by tomatoes and peppers:


Carrots were planted where the garlic was harvested:


Most of the potato patch now stands empty. The final Sugar Baby Watermelons in the melon patch will be harvested soon and shortly the melon patch will stand empty as well.

The temperature was much more comfortable today for working in the garden and I was able to accomplish some much needed cleanup. The abnormal 90-degree temperatures we had last week are hopefully gone for good.


I made another batch of tomato sauce yesterday and canned it early this morning. More beans were blanched and frozen. One more day to enjoy, then I'll be back to work.

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe you can do a mid season squash of any sort. We have two generations of SVB each year. It's horrible. You need to plan so early to get a head start on the seedlings so they start producing before the SVB come out and then hope they can last until you've eaten your fill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden looks great and is producing well. The heat we have had on the east coast has made gardening very challenging this year. I lost all of my squash to SVB this year.

    I'm a little, actually very behind on my fall planting this year. Hopefully, we will get at least one cold frame done to put over a bed for some nice winter veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your garden is still thriving! Good idea on the mid-season planting of zucchini. You sure have made alot of tomato sauce this year, but I bet it'll be great this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ribbit: I’ve been lucky to not have a problem with SVB yet. I probably just cursed myself by typing that. I’ve never done a mid-season planting of summer squash before. Usually by now the spring plants are ravaged by downy mildew.

    Robin: The garden has thrived in this warm weather. It will be in for a rude awakening now that the temperatures are cooling. So sorry you lost all your squash to SVB. I am fortunate to not have SVB. Maybe because I don’t plant a lot of squash?

    EG: We do consume a lot of tomato sauce. I think I have enough preserved tomato sauce for a year. I still have more tomatoes coming in. I have never had the volume of tomatoes that I do this year. The SFGs and the SWCs are a huge improvement over my weedy in-ground garden.

    ReplyDelete