Monday, September 20, 2010

Harvest Monday: September 20, 2010

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting from his or her gardens in different areas.

Not much harvested this week from the garden spot. I did use up the Concord Grapes harvested last week to make some Grape Jelly:


This was the first time I have been able to harvest enough grapes to make something with them. I used the recipe on the pectin box and the jelly came out good. I apologize for not posting more about the grapes last week as promised. Things were a bit crazy here last week. I do promise to post more about the grape and the grape vines this week.

Tomatoes are still ripening, but at a much slower pace now. I am picking them as they blush to avoid insect damage. They also seem to ripen quicker on the windowsill as our nights have been much cooler lately. Also, a few cucumbers were harvested along with some beans to add to a salad:


I made yet another batch of tomato sauce this weekend. I am re-heating it now and will be canning it tonight. Most of the tomato plants are looking very sickly. This upcoming weekend, I will be harvesting of all the remaining tomatoes, then pulling the plants and putting them out of their misery. They have served me very well. I have canned more sauce and salsa than I ever dreamed I would this year.

Next week looks more promising. The peppers are finally putting on some size and the summer squash are still slowly producing. Fall crops are also coming along. I also will be harvesting some herbs for drying this upcoming week.

Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

10 comments:

  1. Your jelly looks great. We have a grape vine but it is green grapes. I wish they were purple. However, it was here when we moved in so we didn't have the choice. I just canned white grape juice from it to use in cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet your grape jelly is going to taste so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That grape jelly (with the tantalizing grapes in the picture too) looks delicious! One of my favorite jelly flavors is grape. Of course, I love grape juice too... :D

    Your tomatoes have done you proud this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find mine ripen inside better too. At least now that we are having some colder nights. Love the jelly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grape jelly! About the recipe....did you add the 1-1/2 cups of water like it says? (assuming you used the "sure jell" brand of pectin)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty picture of your grape jelly. This is the first year that we had a respectable grape harvest too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, lovely batch of jelly ! Looks delish.
    I'm expecting to pack the window sills this week too. Nights have been very cool here. Are you protecting your peppers ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so awesome that you were able to make that much jelly. Hopefully, my Concord grape vine will take off next year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emily: The Concord grape vines were here when I bought the home as well. I hope to someday make wine from the grapes.

    Debiclegg: It’s a little sweet for my taste, but K loves it.

    KitsapFG: We had a little grape juice left over and it was really good.

    Daphne: I found a big difference in the tomatoes once the nights started getting cooler.

    Barbie: Thanks, the jelly was pretty good.

    EG: I used Ms Wages pectin. It calls for 1 cup of water, but I didn’t add any because I was using more grapes than the recipe called for and knew I would extract 5 cups of juice easily for the jelly recipe. We drank the rest of the grape juice.

    Ottawa Gardener: Thanks!

    Miss M: So far, temps haven’t been at frost level and the peppers are hanging in there.

    Thomas: Thanks! I was pretty excited that I had enough to make a batch of jelly. If cared for properly, Concord grape vines can produce quite a lot of grapes.

    ReplyDelete