Monday, September 27, 2010

Harvest Monday: September 27, 2010

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting from his or her gardens in different areas. Below is an overview of some of the bounty harvested over the past week:

The peppers seemed slow this year, but this week I was able to harvest 2-pounds of Anaheim Peppers:


These were used to make some Chicken Enchiladas with Dan’s Green Chili Sauce. Dan’s recipe (Urban Veggie Garden Blog) can be found here. I modified his recipe a little bit to cook in a slow cooker/crock pot. There was enough Green Chili Sauce to freeze for another meal.

The tomatoes are still coming in. After this weekend, only the San Marazano plants remain in the garden. There are still many tomatoes on these vines and a few are harvested each day to finish ripening on the windowsill:


These are the fruit that were salvaged from the pulled tomato plants from yesterday's post:


A large amount of eggplant was harvested and used for Eggplant Parmesean:


Yellow Summer Squash, Bell Peppers from a branch that bent over from their weight, and some more San Marazano Tomatoes to add to the overflowing windowsill:


Another Yellow Summer Squash and a Zucchini that went from small to large in less than 24 hours. Must have been a result of the warm weather we had last week. It will be seeded, grated, and frozen for zucchini bread later this fall/winter:


Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

16 comments:

  1. I love the variety and the colors. Eggplant looks fabulous. My Anaheims are producing now also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot of eggplant! Is that a white variety mixed in there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strange weather last week. Good for the garden though!

    How have you liked the San Marzanos? The look pretty productive!

    I read somewhere about making zucchini parmesan with large slices of zucchini. If I get any more I'm going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what beautiful colors. The week looks like it was good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny how those zucchini can do that just overnight! I have had that happen too!
    Everything looks real good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm been thinking of making some green chili sauce! Glade the recipe came in handy. I don't have nearly as many Anaheim this season as last, they are so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! What a harvest you have! I'm so jealous that you still have tomatoes! Our plants were pulled a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Johanna: Thanks, the colors of the partially ripe tomatoes are really pretty in the sunshine. I was worried that I wasn’t going to get a lot of peppers, but they all began producing at once.

    Villager: The eggplant is a Japanese variety. The seed package just says, Japanese Eggplant. They are supposed to be purple, but one plant is producing only white eggplant. They are the same size and taste the same as the purple ones.

    Henbogle: I think the garden is just as confused as we are with this weather. I am very pleased with the San Marzano Tomatoes. They are very sweet and great for making sauce.

    Ribbit: Yes, it was a great harvest week. Since frost is expected any day now, I really appreciate it too.

    Dan: Seems like I had more peppers last year as well. The plants didn’t seem to start producing until late. Thanks again for the recipe. We love it.

    Meemsnyc: Most of the tomato plants have been pulled and I suspect we have maybe a week more before frost threatens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice basket of San Marzanos. They generally do so badly for me...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once again the harvest and the pictures are impressive! I can't get over the nice shades of the tomatoes - just perfect for photographing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the look of those San Marzano tomatoes. They are definitely going on my seed list for next year. It seems like they have been prolific in your garden this year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It still looks very much like summer in your harvest baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything looks so delicious. I especially love the chilies. I really need to grow more chilies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Angela: This is my first time growing San Marzanos. I guess I am lucky because I've heard they can be difficult to grow.

    Balcony Paradise: Thanks!

    Thomas: It's my first year growing San Marzanos. I have also had good experience with the hybrid Super Marzano Tomatoes.

    Thyme2Garden: Some days it still FEELS like summer too. It was 80 yesterday. The garden is quite confused.

    Daphne: I worried about the peppers, they didn't seem to want to produce this year. Then all of a sudden they did. Not enough time to turn red, but I am happy to harvest what I can.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great harvest this week! I think we all can relate to the zucchini that miraculously balloons up in what seems like just one day. They really are kind of a miracle veggie really.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice harvest!!! I think that I'll grow those japanese eggplants next year too!

    ReplyDelete