Saturday, September 4, 2010

Harvesting the Kennebec Potatoes

By the time hurricane Earl brushed by the area last night, it had been downgraded to a tropical storm. Overnight we received 3-4 inches of rain. We really needed it.

Early yesterday morning, before the sun hit the garden and the heat rose, I dug the Kennebec potatoes.


Two varieties of potatoes were planted on May 2, 2010 in the east garden, Dark Red Norland, a mid-season variety, and Kennebec, a late season variety. The Dark Red Norland potatoes were harvested mid-August.

2.5 pounds of Kennebec seed potatoes were planted in two rows that are 8-feet long. The foliage had died back several weeks ago and I stopped watering. Without much rain, the soil was easy to dig through.


The potatoes were piled into a garden cart, which was then covered and wheeled into the shed to protect them from sunlight and rain.


I pulled the potatoes out this morning to weigh them and spread them out so they can cure a little bit before storing.


The Kennebec weighed in at 22 pounds! Combined with the Dark Red Norland potatoes I harvested 68.5 pounds of potatoes from 8 pounds of seed. I am very pleased with my first year growing potatoes.

8 comments:

  1. Great potato harvest! It makes me wish I hadn't been so eager that I used mine up before the plants matured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That's a lot of potatoes. You had such a great yield this year. I planted close to 9 lb and got nowhere close to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granny: I had a row of Dark Red Norland that I used for early potatoes, I left the Kennebec to mature.

    Thomas: It IS a lot of potatoes. I never thought they would do so well. I bet a lot had to do with the warm summer we had. I also didn’t have any rodent problems like you did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look really nice. I haven't tried potatoes yet, but want to soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice harvest GM. The few Yukon's I picked don't look promising but the rest of them along with the Kennebec's will be dug in about 2-3 weeks. I will know then. John

    ReplyDelete
  6. You wouldn't think that this year with all the heat and dry weather that potatoes would have done well, but that is a nice harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really a bountiful harvest of potatoes. You really did a great job on that. Good for you that you did great because many gardeners have a disaster in thier first attempt of planting potatoes especially me. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is really a lot of potatoes to cook. Lol. Those are perfect for a mashed potato recipe and some potato fries for snack. Yummy! But I love the most is the potato salad especially with some beets. Love it!

    ReplyDelete