Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Wicked Nor'easter

The snow was predicted to begin during the morning commute. In anticipation of the storm, many schools and businesses decided last night to remain closed today. I consider myself so lucky that can work from home as long as I have electricity. Once I woke up and saw the snow falling, I settled myself in front of the computer with a cup of coffee and began my workday.

By lunchtime, about 9-inches had fallen and K went out to snowblow a bit so it wouldn’t be too deep for our snowthrower.

Snow on the Apple Trees

By mid-morning, Maine Department of Transportation was advising people to stay off the roads because they could not keep up with 3-inches per hour snowfall. We live in a rural area and didn’t even see a plow on our road until around 2 pm.

There IS a garden under there.

By nightfall, at least 14-inches had fallen. The storm is expected to slow overnight, but he wind has picked up causing the snow to swirl into drifts. There will be one more cleanup tomorrow morning before I venture out to work once again.

8 comments:

  1. Y'all got what just passed us. It was terrible considering I honestly don't think we have snow plows down here. We're out of school for the fourth day tomorrow. THat never happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ribbit: I've been reading your blog. Yup, same storm hit us today. Thankfully without the freezing rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have managed to miss the really bad snow storms, I live in Oregon, but we are getting hammered with cold. -2,14 for a high. I think we made Mother Nature Mad!!! Will go outside and apologize and see if it helps. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are able to be comfortable and off the roads - then it is a rather beautiful thing to behold. Now if you have to go out in that wicked stuff... quite another matter!

    Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn Bay: I would gladly take the storm over the cold temperatures you are experiencing. Brrr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura: Thankfully, I don't usually have to drive during the messy storms since I can work from home. Usually by the next day the roads are clear. The blanket of snow is beautiful and it was amazing to watch the inches pile up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. rachel, i'd like to email something to ya. Could you tell me the address?

    ReplyDelete
  8. EG: I sent you an email to your at att email address.

    ReplyDelete