Monday, March 21, 2011

Harvest Monday: March 21, 2011

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting from his or her gardens in different areas.

Not much to harvest here in Maine yet, but I did enjoy some of my stored harvest from last season.

I was sad to use up the last of the Kennebec Potatoes this week:


As you can see, it was perfect timing. They have begun to sprout and were a little soft, but still very good as mashed potatoes with garlic. Now I have a better idea how long potatoes will keep in the basement. I haven’t opened up the boxes with the seed potatoes yet, but I am worried they may not last until planting time.

We were down to only a few jars of salsa, so I made another batch this weekend using frozen tomatoes, garden garlic, and the remainder of my frozen Anaheim and Bell peppers. I still have some frozen Jalapeno peppers and I am not sure how I will use these up.


Fresh harvests include a few salad clippings from the spinach and lettuce growing under the lights in the basement. Onion trimmings are also adding a nice mild, onion flavor when sprinkled on various dishes.


Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

 ----------

I am sure many of you laughed at first when you saw that we were shoveling and snow blowing the garden over the weekend. I had a moment of thinking we were a little nuts as well, but look:


By Sunday, the remaining snow melted on the raised boxes. This will allow the boxes to dry out and hopefully warm up sooner than if they were still blanketed with a layer of snow. We are currently experiencing another snowstorm that is supposed to drop 3-6 inches of snow by tomorrow. However, this spring snow won’t be around for long now that the sun is stronger.

12 comments:

  1. Lucky you to still have some potatoes!! We had very little potatoes last year due to the voles.

    It seems like the stores are running low for many of us...but, the warmer weather is on it's way...sooner or later!!

    Your beds look great!! I bet you are happy that you two did all of that shoveling and blowing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MORE snow!? Wow, you guys are really getting hit!

    I DO find it amusing that you're clearing that much snow out around your raised beds, but it's clearly going to pay off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about all you northern New England gardeners yesterday when it was snowing. Ours didn't stick, but I still wasn't happy to see the snow falling. I'd much rather have rain.

    We haven't been eating a lot of salsa at all this winter. We usually go through more. I might still have some when the tomatoes start to ripen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like it might be about time for some hoops! It looks almost warm in the non-smowy parts! {8-0

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mind over matter. Think spring and it will come. You've created an oasis in the snow. I never thought about this but Kennebec potatoes must have originated in Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robin: To be honest, before we had almost 70 pounds of potatoes to consume, we really didn’t eat many potatoes in our diet. I hope to grow at least the same amount this year.

    The raised beds are still exposed even after the snowfall we received today. I am glad we made the effort to remove the snow, this will allow me to get some spring plantings under hoops soon.

    Jeph: Yes, more snow. We ended up with about 4-inches that I suspect will melt quickly. Personally, I have had absolutely enough of this white stuff.

    Daphne: Ugh! We had about 4-inches of sticky snow accumulated. I am so sick of winter that even this small amount was enough to frustrate me.

    I think we eat about a pint of salsa every two weeks. Hopefully I can plan better this year.

    Barbie: Yes, it is almost time for hoops. April will be time. Believe me, I am so ready to begin growing some spring crops.

    Gardenvariety-hoosier: You are right….Mind over matter. Spring will truly be here eventually. Kennebec potatoes did originate from a farm in Presque Isle county, Maine in the 1940s.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if you have a cooler spot to store the potatoes next year. It would slow down the sprout formation. Nonetheless, you got a good storage period out of your nice harvest! I was expecting your snow removal was going to pay off and thankfully it really has.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura, I was wondering the same thing. I may try another corner of the basement next year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is about what my potatoes look like. On their last leg!

    Your salsa must have been delish. I would call more motivated than crazy to be shoveling snow off the garden, but it obviously paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How many pounds of potatoes did you plant to get a 70 lb. harvest? Great job bringing your harvest through to spring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, that post was helpful!

    ReplyDelete