Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Impatient Maine Gardener



After K snow blowed the paths between the beds in the garden, I shoveled off some of the raised beds so the rest of the snow would melt faster. There was over a foot of heavy snow on top of the beds.



By afternoon, temperatures reached 68 degrees F and the paths were clear down to the ground and the snow remaining on the raised beds had reduced significantly. However, you can’t outsmart Mother Nature. We woke this morning to more snowfall a fresh covering of snow. Only an inch or so that will surely melt quickly, but it served as a reminder that winter is still hanging on.





There is some green under the collapsed mini-hoops, but I don’t know yet if anything survived.


Removing the snow from the raised beds will allow the remaining snow melt quicker and the soil to warm up sooner than the rest of the garden still under snowcover. Hopefully, I’ll be able to get some early crops planted under protection soon.

8 comments:

  1. That's the way to do it!! I would be out there shoveling too!! You never know what the weather will bring. You may get an early summer without much spring. If you don't get some cool weather crops in...you may not have success with them. That darn Mother Nature is always messing with our gardening schedule!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it works for you, because I know you're ready to get started...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, K! I have so been there and done that! It works though, and with low hoops you can start things pretty early and be eating lettuce by May.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the same reaction to this morning's snow -- that it was a reminder to us that it's still winter. But at mid-afternoon, it's all gone; and I could swear I see bare ground in places where there wasn't bare ground yesterday! :-) -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my lord that is still alot of snow! Good thinking removing it to speed up the melt process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, that is a lot of snow! I am hoping it melts soon for you. Ugh!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow...hey, at least you're being proactive about things. We're expecting some light snow later this week. Hopefully it won't be more than a light dusting. Must feel good to be able to see the beds again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, good for you! wanna come over and help with mine when your done :) happy Spring wishes!

    ReplyDelete