Saturday, April 9, 2011

What a Difference a Week Makes

Today, I will begin hardening off the hearty spring crops to eventually be planted under some hoops:

Chinese Cabbage

Pak Choi

Spinach

Swiss Chard

Lettuce

Last Friday, we were in the middle of yet another significant snowstorm that left 10-inches of snow behind. One week later, the snow from last week’s storm has melted along with most of the snow that remained on the ground from the winter.

The gardens are now clear, but parts of the yard still has several inches of snow:



I have Fridays off from work. I was thrilled to be able to work on cleaning up the raised beds yesterday. I am also looking forward to getting more accomplished outside today. The weather predictions for the next week look much more seasonable with most nights above freezing, but it is still unpredictable. Hopefully, I will be able to plant out some spring crops soon under protection soon.

6 comments:

  1. For us this week it is supposed to be above normal by a bit. Basically it is end of April weather, not mid April weather. I can use some slightly above normal temps about now.

    Your seedlings are looking great. Your chard looks so much happier than my chard. I planted mine out as little tiny sad things. I know they will grow though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daphne: That is awesome! The warmer weather will give your newly transplants a great start.

    My chard would have been happy to be planted out by now. It's little roots are growing out of the soil blocks along the bottom of the tray. I may plant it out this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for you that the weather is moderating. It appears your clearing snow from the garden area is paying off as it might have residual snow like the other areas of yard if you had not done that. The starts are all looking really lush and ready for their permanent home in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures....The snow in the background would make me wanna scream..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura: The raised beds would probably still have snow on them if we hadn't intervened. The seedlings are definitely ready to be planted. Now if only the weather would cooperate.

    EG: It was a comfortable 55 degrees F yesterday. It was strange to have snow around me as I was working in the garden. The snow won't be around for much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems like the weather has finally turned for us in the East!! We had some beautiful weather yesterday!! Now maybe all of us can get caught up with our gardens :)

    ReplyDelete