Monday, May 23, 2011

Harvest Monday: May 23, 2011

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting from his or her gardens in different areas.

The garden harvests have officially begun with lettuce and a little bit of pak choi.




Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.


Not much gardening happened over the past week due to the continued rain. We saw some sun on Saturday, but it didn’t last long as more showers rolled in and stayed for a while. I dodged the rain showers on Sunday and planted out some, parsley, sage, dill, and cucumbers.


The weather still looks rainy in the next week or so, but temperatures are predicted to warm up and we may see some sun on Wednesday.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, that red lettuce is so dark! What variety is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't they just have the most beautiful lettuces out.....What a pretty salad that will make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on that red lettuce bandwagon! It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a nice mix of lettuces like that with a nice pop of red to contrast with the greens. Lettuces can be quite ornamental with all the textures, heights, and color variations available. Sure hope the weather gives you a break soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lettuce is just gorgeous - especially the leaves that are multi-colored.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the prettiest lettuce and the pak choi is perfect! That would be novel to see the sun some time this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Muddy Toes: The red lettuce clippings are Marvielle de Quatre Saison, Rouge d'Hiver, and Red Salad Bowl (Red Oak Leaf). I’ve grown Marvielle before, but don’t remember it being so brilliantly colored. I think the cold weather has allowed the red color to deepen.

    Sue: It is almost too pretty to eat.

    Katrina: Thanks

    Granny: Thanks! I guess I have a love for red lettuces.

    Laura: I too love the combination of leaf textures and colors of different lettuce. I am wishing that I grew more right now.

    EG: The speckled lettuce that came from a variety pack so I am not sure what kind is is. It may be called, Forellenschluss, Speckled Trout, or Freckles. I think it is so pretty and want to grow more of it.

    Robin: Unfortunately, the pac choi bolted before putting on much size. I added the leaves to stirfry, but it wasn’t enough to taste. I will try again in the fall. Yes, sun would be so good right now for humans and gardens alike.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice! The Pak Choi is so cute ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this week will be much nicer than the last one. I'm guessing we will get a lot more peeks of sun. I can only hope.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow your pak choi does look really good! I hear ya about dodging rain! We have another week of it too! Glad I got some stuff done over the weekend in between rain and storms. Now I just hope my corn didn't drown!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like many of my other cool weather loving growies this season, my attempts at pac choi resulted in bolted plants. I'm wondering if my starting them indoors and then transplanting them out had anything to do with it. Perhaps they prefer direct seeding only?

    ReplyDelete