Tuesday, May 24, 2011

We Saw Sun Today!!

Last evening it was so cold and damp (mid 40s F) that I lit the woodstove to get the chill out of the house. The local weather people were predicting that today would be warm, but I didn’t believe them as I drove to work in the chilly rain.

Low and behold, early afternoon the sky turned brighter and the sun was out. I walked outside during my lunch hour just to feel the warmth. The sky was mostly cloudy for the rest of the day, but it remained dry and reached 75 degrees F!

The first thing I did when I arrived home from work was check out the seedlings. They have been spending the last week outside day and night and I was worried how they would take the rapid temperature change from 40s to 70s. They looked completely unaffected. So I thought I would pop a few seedlings into the garden.

I began with a few basil and cilantro plants:

Basil and Cilantro

It was so easy that I decided to transplant some bell pepper plants:

Bell Pepper

Bell Peppers

Then I grabbed the San Marazano Tomato seedlings and planted those as well:

San Marazano Tomatoes 

San Marazano Tomatoes

It was so easy as the beds have been prepared for a while now. I am looking forward to Memorial Day weekend when the rest of the garden will be planted.  I hope the sun stays a while.

11 comments:

  1. Nice! It only reached 72 today and tomorrow we will have some rain and not much warmer than 68.... Rain in May in CA?!? Your SFG boxes looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't it beautiful today? You really got a lot done! I was busy spilling the beans ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sun makes such a difference! Just when you think it will never shine again-out it comes and all that gloom is forgotten. The garden is coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are just a few miles inland but your weather was totally different! Driving home from work it rained. Got home to no rain but grey skies. The skies did brighten and it was warmer than the morning, but we saw no sun here :-(

    Work today will be torture if it is indeed as sunny as the forecast predicts.

    Your garden looks great! I am eager to get things planted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah for the sunshine!!!! The ten day forecast looks good....lots of sun!

    Your plants look very happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy, isn't it amazing what a little sun can do, both for your garden and your spirits! Great work and those seedlings look amazing! Congrats! I bet you were the perfect mix of tired and satisfied that night! I just experienced one of those myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liisa: The weather seems so…not normal in many areas this year. I am sure the rain in welcomed, but not the cooler temperatures.

    Granny: I was so excited that I could finally dig in the dirt and plant a few things.

    Sue: You are right, all the gloom is forgotten with just a little sunshine. Now I am hoping it will return this weekend so I can get the rest of the garden situated.

    Ali: The weather can be very different between the coast and just 15-miles inland. I work in Freeport and some times the clouds hang in all day while it is bright and sunny at home. Sometimes it is the opposite.

    Robin: The upcoming forecast looks much better then they were guessing last week. Lets get some gardening done!

    Sinfonian: It has been several weeks without sun. I noticed immediately that everyone’s spirits were much improved once the sun began to shine. It was fun to plant some seedling into the garden. I am looking forward to the weekend when I can get the rest of the garden in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's amazing how quickly the planting up process goes when everything has been prepped ahead of time and is standing ready. I sincerely hope you get a sun filled long weekend so that you can keep playing in the dirt! Our forecast is not very encouraging...but I won't let that slow me down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know how you feel, the sun has been a rarity where we live as well...if you have any extra to spare send some my way.:) What is that wonderful looking red lettuce you are growing? The one in the center that is so dark colored. Your plants look great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the opposite problem, too much sun and not enough rain. You have everything looking great, and your pictures are always the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura: I was just so excited to begin planting.

    Mr.H: We went from rainy 50 degrees on Monday to sunny and high 80s by the end of the week. It was uncomfortable to work outside. The red lettuce in the center is Rouge d'Hiver.

    Kris: It seems we are never satisfied. Now that I have sun, I am complaining about the heat. I've been trying to comment on your blog, but blogger is having some issues and I have been unable to. I hope they fix this soon.

    ReplyDelete