Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Garlic: Something to Watch For

Growing garlic here in New England is mostly trouble free. Good amended soil, water, and some weeding is all it needs. There are not many pests or diseases to look out for until now.

This week's MOFGA's Pest Report is about two diseases that can harm Allium production forever in your garden:
Garlic: Growers have either harvested their garlic, or will be harvesting soon. There are two diseases that are not common here in New England and we want to keep it that way. Now is the time to look and see if you have either of them. As you harvest, please inspect your bulbs carefully. Both of these diseases are devastating and long lasting in the field, preventing future garlic production. And, both are spread with the garlic seed pieces so it is of the utmost importance that anyone with this problem not sell seed.

Read more at the MOFGA's website.

9 comments:

  1. Oh good warnings to watch out for - thanks! I just harvested the last of mine this weekend, and all seems ok...hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up on garlic diseases....fortunatley I have never seen either of these in our garlic patch over the years but if I do I will now know what the problem is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here I thought garlic was the ONE thing that had no problems.........
    Good tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeph: Mine look ok too, but I will look them over again this weekend just to be sure.

    Mr H: I never knew garlic could have these diseasesr. I thought it was good to share the info just in case.

    Sue: Unitl now, I too thought garlic didn't have any problems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I certainly have a rot disease in my garlic, but not either of those three thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good things to watch for...hope it does not come to visit here...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daphne: So glad to hear it.

    The Sage Butterfly: Me too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our garlic is looking good this year and no signs yet of disease as they are drying. Most the cloves we planted were from our own garden last year so hopefully this will mitigate any issues present in purchased garlic bulbs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankfully my garlic all looked healthy when harvested. Good heads up on these diseases though as they are not problems I was previously aware of.

    ReplyDelete