Monday, July 4, 2011

Harvest Monday: July 4, 2011

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting from his or her gardens in different areas.

The Carouby de Maussane Snow Peas have begun producing. So far there have been a few pickings resulting in enough to toss into salads and stir-fry. Mostly, I just snack on them while I am in the garden.

Carouby de Maussane Snow Pea Bloom

Carouby de Maussane Snow Peas

The first zucchini bloomed this week but there were no male flowers to pollinate it so it was harvested, chopped, and added to a salad flower and all.

Baby Zucchini and Carouby de Maussane Snow Peas

The first Heritage Raspberry was plucked from the plant. Its red gleam burst from the green foliage like a promise of what is to follow from our canes planted one year ago. Luckily the camera was handy and the photo taken quickly before the raspberry was shared between K and I. It tasted very good and we are eager for more to ripen.

Heritage Raspberry

A need for garlic and onion for a meal resulted in pulling a smaller garlic bulb and a young red onion. The garlic bulb was about 2-inches across. The others are beginning to look a bit ragged, so the major garlic harvest will probably happen in the next few weeks.

Purple Glazer Garlic and Red Barron Onion

The crisper draw in the refrigerator is still full of lettuce from the garden. Some was harvested as they showed signs of bolting and some pulled because they were only serving as a play ground for slugs and earwigs. The spotted lettuce escaped the pest damage and had formed beautiful loose heads:

Spotted Lettuce from "Bon Vivant Lettuce Blend"

The remaining spring lettuce is down to only a few loose heads in the garden but a second planting will hopefully keep us in salads through the summer. I have also planted some in pots that can be moved to the shade when the temperatures heat up.

Be sure to visit Daphne's Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

Happy 4th of July!

16 comments:

  1. Congrats on your raspberry! It looks delicious.

    It seems like everyone has that problem with zucchini, where the females come first without any male flowers around. Strange considering my experience with most other veggies is that I get millions of male flowers before the glorious female. I wonder if my zucchini will end up being the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also having a lot of female flowers on all my squash with little or no males yet. It's strange since the males are usually the first to come out and play :)

    Let us know how the Carouby produce and what you think about the flavor. I had planted some at the plots and they didn't do very well, neither did my other snow peas there. So I don't think it's a good test.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice harvest! The advantage of a many small harvests is that nothing gets wasted :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOoohhh...nice harvest!! I also harvested a small amount of raspberries this week. It just made me want more!! I love the color of your pea flowers! Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are lovely snow peas, the blossoms too. I miss growing them, but I never got enough to really justify giving them the space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one beautiful lettuce! Slugs and earwigs have been chewing mine to pieces, so the rabbit ends up with all the outer leaves and we get the centers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our Heritage raspberry patch is loaded with blooms and immature berries - but so far - no ripe fruit. Soon though! :D

    So who got to eat that single berry?

    Snow peas look delicious. I am still waiting for my sugar snap peas. So slow this year for peas, carrots, zucchini, and potatoes. Lack of sun and warmth has really shifted my garden out about 3 weeks from where it normally is at this time of year.

    I think I am pretty much on the same schedule with you though on the garlic. Won't be much longer before I need to pull them - probably two weeks to make sure I get the maxium clove development.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice harvest! We're just about where you are. We noticed the first two ripe raspberries on the bush today. The lettuce in the last photo looks just like my Freckles Romaine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The flowers on my pea plants are never that colorful or interesting. I might have to consider that variety next year.

    Something has been eating my raspberries. Are those the canes that you planted last year?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your lettuce and peas look amazing! I have been waiting for some good-looking squash blossoms to stuff...none yet...but I have had some squash. Happy Harvest Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good harvest - even the small ones should be cherished..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woohoo! Harvest looks great. Don't you just love those blossoms.
    Ribbit

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such pretty lettuce. My garlic is close a week or two away from getting harvested and I have less than two cloves left over from last year. So I did pretty well on amounts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your harvests look so clean and presentable. :) Those snow peas look delicious. As my pea vines are currently huffing and puffing out their last breath, I'm envious of your pea harvests to come.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Prarie Cat: I can’t wait for more raspberries. It was very tasty: Isn’t it strange that we all seem to worry about the first zucchini, then in a few weeks we have way more zucchini than we can give away.

    Robin: I have a bunch of male flowers on my other squash right now with no females in sight. I guess I will have to be patient.

    This is my second year growing Carouby de Maussane Snow Peas. They are not doing very well in this heat. However, last year they were marvelous! The vines grew up the 8-foot trellis and continued reaching for the sky. They have a very sweet flavor and even taste good when they grow large.

    RandomGardener: It is true that small harvests are not wasted and greatly appreciated this time of year.

    Holly: We have many raspberries on the canes, but they are not even close to ripening yet. I’ll have to be more patient.

    Villager: I only grew a small amount this year along a 4-foot trellis…just enough to toss into salads and stirfries.

    Granny: I am so disgusted with the lettuce right now. The slugs and earwigs are everywhere. The next batch is going to be planted with more spacing to try to eliminate some of the dampness that they seem to love.


    Laura: It was strange, there was only the one raspberry that was ripe. The rest will take some time to plump up and ripen. I pinched off a bit of the berry just to get a little taste, but K got the rest. I am looking forward to more.

    Emily: I love the spotted lettuce and think that it is Freckles Romaine. It grows long upright leaves like a romaine.

    Thomas: The blooms of the Carouby de Maussane Snow Peas beautiful. The pea pods themselves are usually very tender and sweet. This year, the heat is not working in its favor. I probably should have planted it earlier in the spring. Yes, these are the Heritage Raspberry canes that we planted last year.

    The Sage Butterfly: Stuffed squash blossoms sound really good. I haven’t had enough blossoms to sacrifice yet. Hopefully, I can try this soon.

    EG: Yes, I appreciate each and every harvest that the garden produces.

    Ribbit: Thanks!

    Daphne: Luck you to have made it a year with your garlic. I almost made it, but the last few bulbs shriveled up before I could use them.

    Thyme2Garden: Thanks! Unfortunately, a heat wave has cut the snow peas lifespan short. They are not looking very healthy. I may have to pull them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are also growing heritage raspberries. I spotted a few turning red. I can't wait to pluck the first one.

    ReplyDelete